Re: Gene duplication and design

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Sat Apr 15 2000 - 11:31:18 EDT

    Ted:
    > 1. independent evidence of ID capable of genetic engineering
    >2. anything that casts doubt on RM & NS capability of doing the
    > job

    >These are things that would cause me to suspect design. Now
    >you might characterize these things as far closer to proof
    >than suspicion but I wouldn't; RM & NS is such a powerful and
    >persuasive explanation to begin with, it requires powerful and
    >persuasive explanations to overturn it.

    Bertvan:
    Hi Ted:
    Where you see RM&NS such a powerful and persuasive explanation, it requires
    powerful and persuasive explanations to overturn it. Many of us see RM&NS as
    such an inadequate explanation, we would carefully examine ANY other
    explanation. The evidence for and against RM&NS is available to all of us,
    and how we evaluate it is a personal judgment. You seem to be the most open
    minded defender of RM&NS I've encountered, but I wouldn't expect you to
    change your mind about the merits of ID -- just as I am unlikely to suddenly
    see RM&Ns as a "powerful explanation". Do you think there is room in science
    for more than one view on the subject-without either side attacking the
    other's motives or intelligence? Do you think it possible ID scientists and
    RM&NS scientists might coexist? Would you consider it legitimate for the
    public (including school children) to be aware of such a difference of
    opinion among scientists --without anyone declaring that those with
    minority views weren't "real" scientists? I'm almost embarrassed to ask you
    these questions, for I've respected your arguments, but I've found most RM&NS
    defenders intolerant of any form of dissent.

     Mike Gene said: And of
    > > course trivial observed examples of RM&NS become inflated to
    >> explain everything, as there is no solid alternative. From this
    >> perspective, one doesn't need evidence that RM&NS evolved some
    >> feature because the mere existence of RM&NS is sufficient.

    Ted:
    > Sufficient, at least, without an alternate explanation. It's
    >just like suggesting that erosion can explain the Grand Canyon.
    >We know that erosion works on our small observable scale so we
    >assume in can also do a much larger job over a much larger
    >interval of time. However, that explanation would quickly fall
    >out of favor if good evidence for a different mechanism were
    >found, or if evidence for aliens who had good reason to do such
    >things was discovered.

    Bertvan:
    The assumption is justified in the case of erosion because we can observe
    small changes turning into large scale effects. We not only don't observe
    the gradual creation of new organs and complex systems by gradual, random
    mutations and natural selection -- some of us have trouble even imagining
    the steps involved in such a process. Because one assumption has proved to
    be justified doesn't automatically justify all assumptions. Since part of
    your attachment to RM&NS is merely lack of alternative explanations, I should
    think you would applaud anyone searching for other options, such as evidence
    for non-random, environmental influences upon mutation. Yet most RM&NS
    defenders appear not only uninterested in such research; they seem to have an
    emotional aversion such a possibility. If mutations were not random, there
    would be no need for Natural Selection to "create" anything. Surely
    Darwinist aversion to purposeful mutations can't merely be emotional
    attachment to the idea of Natural Selection!!

    > Ted :
    >Let's also not forget to look at the other side of the
    > coin. If similarity and complexity suggests intelligence,
    >then the sheer coldness and lack of any moral decency whatsoever
    >in nature suggests the absence of intelligence (if we associate
    >higher intelligence with higher morality). Frankly, I can't
    >conceive of an intelligence so great that it could manipulate
    >genes but so morally-flawed that it would permit the unimaginable
    >scale of pain and suffering in life's history. We must suppose
    >an intelligence that is far more frightening then no intelligence
    >at all; an intelligence that would permit any intelligent race
    >to be wiped out to see what organism might next fill its niche.
    >Perhaps it is far more comforting to imagine that nature alone
    >gave rise to life than to imagine an advanced intelligence
    >without a trace of human decency!

    Bertvan:
    Here I think we have the heart of the disagreement. You are defining
    "intelligence" as human intelligence. Certainly not canine intelligence,
    feline intelligence, nor bacterial intelligence, but even most religious
    people regard the intelligence in nature as something more than " human
    intelligence". It is true that many religious people paint their God in
    pretty human terms, but agnostics can consider nature the result of an
    intelligent, rational design without even speculating about the nature of any
    designer. We do not have to understand any ultimate purposes to believe
    teleology might be a part of nature.

    In addition, you seem to believe intelligence should include moral judgments
    such as "human decency". This belief that nature is immoral seems to be
    behind some people's passionate denial of teleology as a possible part of
    nature. According to whose standards might nature be immoral? A century or
    so ago "human decency" included the institution of slavery. Has
    twenty-first-century, Western "human decency" reached some objective plateau?
      Are you convinced the only possible "intelligent" purpose of nature must be
    bliss? (absence of pain and conflict) Human bliss? Animal bliss"? How
    could we even define bliss in the absence of suffering? RM&NS is an
    explanation of nature devoid of teleology. If some people, in their
    disappointment that nature doesn't "show a trace of human decency" have
    decided teleology does not exist, fine. That decision should not be imposed
    anyone as "scientific truth".

    Bertvan
    http://members.aol.com/bertvan