Re: Gene duplication and design [ was Re: Dennett's bad word ...]

From: MikeBGene@aol.com
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 01:55:26 EDT

    Hi Tedd,

    You write:

    >I should add that your criticism of of the "metaphysics and game
    >rules" of some scientists is probably without merit because I
    >suspect those people just don't see the evidence for design that
    >you do. For example, I've never ruled out teological explanations,
    >I just don't see the evidence for any such hypotheses. But
    >that may mean I'm just ignorant.

    I am well aware that this may be the case. But let me tell you why
    I don't think so. Two questions, when coupled, strongly support
    my contention (IMO). First, when you ask a scientist what type
    of data would cause him/her to suspect ID behind the origin of
    some biological feature, you usually get no answer. But in all
    fairness, this is because most scientists don't even think much
    about origins and the issue of origins is largely irrelevant to their
    science. However, if pressed, those who do have an interest in
    origins will answer this question by citing things that really
    are far closer to some needed proof for design than something
    that merely raises a suspicion. Okay, so maybe these people are
    just hard-core skeptics. But then comes the second question.
    Most of these same "skeptics" also believe that RM&NS were
    indeed the main mechanisms behind the origin of every biological
    feature. Yet when I ask for the evidence behind this belief, I
    get none. What happened to that hard-core skepticism? So on one
    hand, we have a community that doesn't seem to know how to process
    a question about data that would raise a suspicion of design, yet on
    the other hand, the same community widely accepts and promotes
    a belief for which there seems to be very little evidence. This apparent
    double standard is best explained, in my opinion, by realizing just
    how much the "metaphysics and game rules" drive this question for
    many. After all, many leading scientists have written that they
    *begin* their analysis by excluding teleological explanations;
    this act has been defined as being an essential ingredient of science.
    When this happens, why bother training your mind so that it can
    detect traces of ID (since it's a taboo explanation)? And of course
    trivial observed examples of RM&NS become inflated to explain
    everything, as there is no solid alternative. From this perspective,
    one doesn't need evidence that RM&NS evolved some feature
    because the mere existence of RM&NS is sufficient.

    Tedd :

    >"Biology needs teological language and concepts" Do you mean
    >biology *needs* teological concepts or that humans *tend*
    >to engage in anthropomophizing behavior about things,
    >be they cars, weather, or molecular machinery?

    I meant the former. If it were the latter, then other branches of
    science (physics, chemistry, astronomy, geology, etc.) would
    be as dependent on teleological language and concepts as is
    biology. But they are not. Since I addressed this issue on this
    list a few months back, I'll simply re-post some excerpts:

    " But I think it most telling that, while it officially excludes intelligent
    design, biology works because it extensively employs intelligent
    design language and concepts. As a physical scientist, Paul Davies,
    wisely observed in his latest book:

    " Concepts like information and software do not come from the
    natural sciences at all, but from communication theory, and involve
    qualifiers like context and mode of description - notions that are
    quite alien to the physicist's description of the world. Yet most
    scientists accept that information concepts do legitimately apply to
    biological systems, and they cheerfully treat semantic information
    as if it were a natural quantity like energy. Unfortunately, "meaning"
    sounds perilously close to purpose, an utterly taboo subject in biology.
    So we are left with the contradiction that we need to apply concepts
    derived from purposeful human activities (communication, meaning,
    context, semantics) to biological processes that certainly appear
    purposeful, but are in fact not (or are not supposed to be)."

    [Davies commitment to methodological naturalism prevents
    him from following through on this "contradiction."]

    The fact that biology invokes intelligent design concepts like
    proofreading and quality control in order to make sense of life
    is, to me, very suggestive. Of course, this is not the type of
    thing that is likely to trigger the suspicions of a naturalist,
    as his/her trigger is set to detect only things that essentially
    amount to the designer him/herself paying a visit to that
    naturalist. But if biology is supposed to reduce to nothing
    more than chemistry and physics, why do we need to appeal
    to engineering concepts to make sense of biology? Where in
    geology, astronomy, physics, and chemistry do we find the
    concepts of proofreading and quality control?

    It is often said that ID is not science and has contributed
    nothing to science. But how can this be when biology is
    built around ID concepts and language? How is it that
    advances in our own understanding of our own designs
    help to illuminate biology in a very fundamental way?
    For example, in trying to explain feedback and homeostasis
    to new biology students, biologists do not draw from basic
    chemistry or physics. They draw from the manner in which
    furnaces and thermostats are designed to work."

    and

    "1. You are missing a subtle, but important point. It's
    not simply the use of design concepts, it's the fact that
    an *understanding* of our own designed artifacts actually
    sheds *real* light on biology (but not geology, astronomy,
    physics, or chemistry). The more we understand about
    design, the more we understand about life. It's more than
    handy metaphors. It's the *applicability* of real concepts.
    Understanding how computers work really does help
    us understand cells. And if there is truth to the design
    inference behind life, I will predict that as our own designs
    improve by becoming smaller, more complex, and more
    sophisticated, our understanding of cellular/molecular
    processes will likewise improve.

    2. Yes, humans attach human characteristics to pets.
    They also attach them to molecules. For example, chemists
    sometimes speak of a hydrophobic molecule as those
    which don't "like" water. This is all anthropomorphism.
    But the design terminology in biology is NOT attaching
    human characteristics to things. For example, when molecular
    biologists interpret a protein as a "sensor", no one envisions
    the protein as a conscious entity that is perceiving things
    and responding to what he sees or hears. Instead, when molecular
    biologists speak of protein sensors, they use this term in the
    exactly the same way an engineer uses it when she builds or
    describes a mechanical device. And that is all that is relevant.
    It doesn't matter if biological molecules are not conscious. It
    matters only if the biological molecules can be put in the same
    class as mechanical components designed by humans. In other
    words, the language of molecular biological is not in the same
    class as anthropomorphic metaphors. It is in the same class
    as the design terminology employed by engineers."

    and

    " You miss the point. Intelligent design terminology is
    not very useful in these sciences. The non-biotic world
    knows nothing of proofreading and quality control. These
    concepts come into play only in engineering (things
    known to be designed) and biology (the very things in
    question). Proofreading and quality control are at the
    very core of life, yet are completely absent from every
    area of science except those known to involve intelligent
    design. I suppose it's all a strange coincidence, but
    I have yet to hear a good argument as to why a mere
    suspicion of design is not justified by these observations."

    Tedd:

    >What is the threshold for CSI and how is it chosen?

    A great question. This is the very type of thing that I
    think ID will address in more detail over the coming years.
    One way of thinking about this threshold is to work with
    the notion of the minimal amount of complexity and
    specificity required to sustain life. This simple question
    has the ability to spawn hundreds of research projects,
    showing yet again just how fruitful ID can be. In fact,
    there already exists much data that can be interpreted in
    light of this question. As of now, I suspect this threshold
    has been crossed because so much of the features that
    appear to be required for life are more similar to non-living
    things designed by human (the only known intelligence)
    than non-living things generated without intelligent intervention.

    >What is the nature of non-intelligent processes that they can not produce
    >CSI?

    I never said they can't. I simply see no evidence that geochemistry
    generates enough CSI sufficient to spawn and sustain life.

    >If an intelligent agent designed the laws of physics, why
    >couldn't CSI be the result?

    I never said the laws of physics couldn't generate CSI. Again,
    it's not an issue of what could be, but an issue of the evidence
    behind claims of what did happen. And I don't what law is
    responsible for so many of life's seemingly contingent features.
    Why the 20 biological amino acids when so many more non-
    biological amino acids are more commonly generated by
    abiogenic simulations? Why the five nitrogenous bases and
    not others? Why the genetic code as it is instead of millions of
    other possible codes?

    Tedd:

    >It's all about evidence, not philosophy.

    That's similar to what I have been saying in trying to
    clarify we are talking about history, not philosophy.
    But I should also mention there is no clear cut distinction
    between evidence and philosophy. Evidence is not something
    we objectively perceive. That's data. Sensory data is then
    interpreted to become something we call evidence. Yet what
    helps us interpret that data as evidence if not philosophy?

    Consider someone who adopts a non-teleological metaphysical
    view. This person cannot consider a teleological explanation
    for the origin of life because of his/her metaphysics. As a consequence,
    the mere existence of life becomes evidence of abiogenesis.
    But if one doesn't share the same metaphysical commitment,
    one is not obligated to interpret the mere existence of life as
    evidence of abiogenesis.

    Tedd:

    >No, if you are looking for a "truly major evolutionary innovation"
    >to vindicate RM&NS, you probably misunderstand evolutionary
    >theory. This may provide a hint as to why you prefer an ID
    >explanation.

    Perhaps. But I am not looking for a truly major evolutionary
    innovation in order to vindicate RM&NS. I am just trying
    to determine why so many believe RM&NS were the
    mechanisms behind major evolutionary innovations. You
    would think that people who reject ID because of a lack
    of evidence would have evidence to support what they
    accept.

    Tedd:

    >It is a fair observation I think that we can gain information about
    >everything within this universe to an arbitrary degree (how long
    >that will take is another question). Thus, your designer is
    >apparently from outside the universe if we can never understand
    >its origin.

    I never made the strong claim that "we can never understand"
    the origin of the intelligent designer(s). I simply note that
    even if design has occurred, this does not entail that we
    should be able to understand the origin of the designers.
    You need some other premises before you can conclude
    we should be able to acquire such understanding.

     Me:

    > Let's pretend ID truly explains the origin of life. From that truth,
    > explain why we SHOULD be able to determine where the
    > designers came from. How does the ability to acquire this
    > knowledge necessarily follow from the truth of life's design?

    Tedd:

    >See above.

    I still don't see it.

    >Entities acting within this universe necessarily
    >interact with matter and energy leaving precise and permanent
    >signatures behind that can be read at some present or future
    >point by human beings.

    Indeed. And these signatures are found in the design.
    Yet how does one get from this signature to knowledge
    of the designer's origins? What if the designers were a form
    of ETI that went extinct about 2 billion years ago many
    light years from earth? And are you suggesting that if SETI does
    not detect a message in the next 1000 years, there is no ETI
    in the universe?

    >The only entities that leave no trace
    >in this universe are those that are not part of it, i.e. they're
    >supernatural, or, simply, they're nonexistant.

    Be careful. All those imaginary microorganisms concocted
    in order the bridge bacteria to geochemistry have left no
    trace. Thus, they are either supernatural or never existed.

    Mike