Re: Dennett's bad word and Johnson's question

From: MikeBGene@aol.com
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 09:07:55 EST

    Me:

    > Evidence of gene duplication is simply sequence similarity.
    > How is this evidence against ID and for RM&NS? Where in
    > ID is the requirement for the intelligent designer to employ
    > nothing more than completely different sequences?
    > Where is the evidence that those sequence similarities were
    > indeed generated by random gene duplications?

    Tedd:

    >Where is the evidence that a fossil found in the ground actually
    >was a living creature? An ID could have merely created the
    >bones and planted them in the ground. Why do you accept
    >the implication of fossils but reject the implication of
    >gene sequences?

    If a designer created artifacts that we call fossils to make it
    look like life forms existed when they did not, I can think
    of only one reason for doing this - the designer intended
    to deceive someone. In the case of sequence similarity,
    intended deception is not the only reason to design them
    as such. A better reason (IMO) is that similar sequences
    often make good design sense.

    For example, see my posting on Muscle Machines a few
    months back. In the case of fast- and slow-twitch muscles,
    all the machinery in muscles exist in slightly different
    forms due to slightly different gene products from slightly
    different genes. By tweaking the basic machinery of muscle,
    one can thus design two different types from the same
    basic prototype. Now, we can indeed interpret these
    different gene forms as the result of gene duplication
    driven by RM&NS and that is the only good explanation
    if we exclude, a priori, intelligent design. But the
    system also makes good design sense and I see no
    reason for thinking that an intelligent designer would
    have used completely different components to design
    fast- and slow-twitch muscles.

    Thus, that similar genes often make good design sense
    does not require us to embrace the notion that similar
    genes imply an intelligent deceiver.

    Mike