Re: Clarification to "Disbelieving Darwin and Feeling No Shame"-William A. Dembski

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 17:18:27 EST

    Reflectorites

    Bill Dembski has issued a partial retraction of his claim that Daniel
    Dennett recommended quarantining parents who doubt Darwinism.

    Personally I agree with someone on another List I am on who wrote
    that "Dennett doth protest too much" and pointed out that:

    Bill Dembski is hardly alone in reading Daniel Dennett as advising the
    "quarantine" of those who dissent from Darwinian naturalism. What
    follows is a passage from Ron Numbers's _Darwinism Comes to America_
    (Harvard University Press, 1998, p. 13). Note that Numbers understands
    Dennett exactly as Bill did:

    "If Dawkins played the role of point man for late-twentieth-century
    naturalistic evolutionists, Daniel C. Dennett gladly served as their hatchet
    man. In a book called _Darwin's Dangerous Idea_ (1995), which Dawkins
    warmly endorsed, Dennett portrayed Darwinism as "a universal solvent,
    capable of cutting right to the heart of everything in sight" -- and
    particularly effective in dissolving religious beliefs. The most ardent
    creationist could not have said it with more conviction, but Dennett's
    agreement with them ended there. He despised creationists, arguing that
    "there are no forces on this planet more dangerous to us all than the
    fanaticisms of fundamentalism." Displaying a degree of intolerance more
    characteristic of a fanatic Fundamentalist than an academic philosopher, he
    called for "caging" those who would deliberately misinform children about
    the natural world, just as one would cage a threatening wild animal. "The
    message is clear," he wrote: "those who will not accomodate, who will not
    temper, who insist on keeping only the purest and wildest strain of their
    heritage alive, we will be obliged, reluctantly, to cage or disarm, and we
    will do our best to disable the memes [traditions] they fight for." With the
    bravado of a man unmindful that only 11 percent of the public shared his
    enthusiasm for naturalistic evolution, he warned parents that if they insisted
    on teaching their children "falsehoods -- that the Earth is flat, that 'Man' is
    not a product of evolution by natural selection -- then you must expect, at
    the very least, that those of us who have freedom of speech will feel free to
    describe your teachings as the spreading of falsehoods, and will attempt to
    demonstrate this to your children at our earliest opportunity." Those who
    resisted conversion to Dennett's scientific fundamentalism would be subject
    to "quarantine."

    The person added:

    Now, it is possible that Ron Numbers, too, has misread Dennett. I doubt it,
    however. But make your own call; here is Dennett himself (emphasis in
    original, p. 516):

    "Save the Baptists! Yes, of course, but not *by all means*. Not if it means
    tolerating the deliberate misinforming of children about the natural world.
    According to a recent poll, 48 percent of the people of the United States
    believe that the book of Genesis is literally true. And 70 percent believe
    that 'creation science' should be taught in school alongside evolution. Some
    recent writers recommend a policy in which parents would be able to 'opt
    out' of materials they didn't want their children taught. Should evolution be
    taught in the schools? Should arithmetic be taught? Should history?
    Misinforming a child is a terrible offense. A faith, like a species, must
    evolve or go extinct when the environment changes. It is not a gentle
    process in either case."

    and the person concluded:

    "Not a gentle process" doesn't put one in mind of dispassionate education.

    I would add that I am a Baptist and when I read this in Dennett I took it
    as a very real threat that should Dennett's crowd ever gain executive power
    they would carry out their threat to separate my children from my wife and
    I so that we could not pass on to them the Bible's teaching.

    http://listserv.omni-list.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind00&L=metaviews&D=1&O=D&F=&S=&P=3794

    [...]

    Finally, William Dembski also writes with a partial retraction of a
    statement made about Daniel Dennett's reputed desire to "quarantine"

    From: "William A. Dembski" <William_Dembski@baylor.edu>
    Subject: Clarification to "Disbelieving Darwin and Feeling No Shame"

    I'd like to post a clarification to my essay "Disbelieving Darwin and
    Feeling No Shame":

    In my essay "Disbelieving Darwin and Feeling No Shame" I made the
    following statement: "Daniel Dennett even recommends 'quarantining'
    parents who teach their children to doubt Darwinism (see the end of
    his *Darwin's Dangerous Idea*)." This is not quite accurate. On p.
    519 of his book, Dennett states, "Those whose visions dictate that
    they cannot peacefully coexist with the rest of us we will have to
    quarantine as best we can...." A few lines later he continues, "If
    you insist on teaching your children falsehoods--that the Earth is
    flat, that "Man" is not a product of evolution by natural
    selection--then you must expect, at the very least, that those of us
    who have freedom of speech will feel free to describe your teachings
    as the spreading of falsehoods, and will attempt to demonstrate this
    to your children at our earliest opportunity. Our future
    well-being--the well-being of all of us on the planet--depends on the
    education of our descendants."

    As Dennett in a private communication has made clear to me, he does
    not recommend quarantining parents who teach their children to doubt
    Darwin's theory and takes exception to anyone who attributes as much
    to him. I agree that there is no explicit recommendation here to
    quarantine parents who teach their children to doubt Darwinism.
    Nonetheless, it seems to me that there is an implicit recommendation
    to do just that. If (1) doubting Darwinian evolution is as silly as
    believing in a flat earth and (2) if our future well-being depends on
    the [proper] education of our descendants and (3) if "at the very
    least" Darwinists will attempt to demonstrate the truth of Darwinism
    to our children at their "earliest opportunity" and (4) if
    "quarantining" is maintained as a live option by Darwinists, then it
    is no big stretch to think that quarantining parents who teach their
    children to doubt Darwin is far from Dennett's intention.

    Sincerely,Bill

    --William A. Dembski, Ph.D.Director, Michael Polanyi Center
    Associate Research Professor in the Conceptual Foundations of Science
    Baylor University

    Address: William A. Dembski The Michael Polanyi Center
               P.O. Box 97130 Baylor University
               Waco, TX 76798-7130

    E-mail: William_Dembski@baylor.edu
    Web: www.baylor.edu/~William_Dembski (personal)
               www.baylor.edu/~polanyi (Michael Polanyi Center)

    "Today, however, the picture is entirely different. More and more workers
    are showing signs of dissatisfaction with the synthetic theory. Some are
    attacking its philosophical foundations, arguing that the reason that it has
    been so amply confirmed is simply that it is unfalsifiable: with a little
    ingenuity any observation can be made to appear consistent with it. Others
    have been deliberately setting out to work in just those areas in which neo-
    Darwinism is least comfortable, like the problem of the gaps in the fossil
    record or the mechanisms of non-Mendelian inheritance. Still others,
    notably some systematists, have decided to ignore the theory altogether,
    and to carry on their research without any a priori assumption about how
    evolution has occurred. Perhaps most significantly of all, there is now
    appearing a stream of articles and books defending the synthetic theory. It
    is not so long ago that hardly anyone thought this was necessary."
    (Ho M-W. & Saunders P.T., eds., "Beyond Neo-Darwinism: An Introduction
    to the New Evolutionary Paradigm," Academic Press: London, 1984,
    p.ix)