Re: Quality of the fossil record through time

From: Tedd Hadley (hadley@reliant.yxi.com)
Date: Fri Mar 24 2000 - 13:25:49 EST

    sejones@iinet.net.au writes
      in message <200002030850.QAA20253@ftp.iinet.net.au>:
    > Reflectorites
    >
    > Check out the latest NATURE which has a letter from Benton, et. al.,
    > arguing that the fossil record at the level of family for the past 540
    > million years, provides "uniformly good documentation of the life of
    > the past".
    >
    > This looks like another nail in Darwinism's coffin as it has always
    > had to argue that the fossil record was *very* incomplete in order to
    > hide the myriads of transitional forms that the `blind watchmaker'
    > would leave in his wake:

       What I would conclude from this is that the majority of transitional
       forms that are missing are between families, thus agreeing that
       the fossil record is certainly incomplete, and agreeing with
       Benton that it is pretty good at the resolution of families.

       However, since this is nothing at like a nail in Darwinism's
       coffin, I must conclude either Stephen's misunderstood something
       or I have.

     <snip>