Re: Disbelieving Darwin and Feeling No Shame, by William Dembski

From: Richard Wein (tich@primex.co.uk)
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 17:55:46 EST

    From: Tedd Hadley <hadley@reliant.yxi.com>

    >MikeBGene@aol.com writes
    > in message <a0.26a2f64.260bc7fb@aol.com>:
    >
    > <snip>
    > > I'm afraid my interpretation closely and logically follows
    > > the written intentions of Dennett. But I bore of this topic.
    >
    > I can see, generally, that you believe you know Dennett very
    > well. Whereas I'm forced to read his writings without a notion
    > of what kind of person he is, you apparently know the man right
    > down to his rotten core and his intentions are crystal clear.
    >
    > Well, you could be right, I admit that.

    Tedd, it's not quite clear what you mean by this.

    Mike *could* be right about Dennett's intentions. All sorts of unlikely
    things *could* be true.

    However, Mike could *not* be right when he says that Dembski's assertion was
    not a misrepresentation. This is a matter of logic, not one of fact. Dembski
    quoted a word directly from Dennett, implying that he was representing what
    Dennet wrote, not describing Dennett's intentions.

    > If he does hate
    > religion that much, he probably would agree deep down with
    > such an interpretation.

    Isn't this almost a tautology? If he hates religion enough to have such
    intentions, then he must have such intentions. ;-)

    > But I consider it prudent to interpret a person's writings only
    > to the extent that the words permit, and we have seen that the
    > simplest, most straightforward interpretation only allows us to
    > conclude that Dennett's language is careful to avoid the
    > interpretation that Dembski accidently (a sloppy reading still
    > remains the simplest explanation for his misquote, in my opinion)
    > reads into it. A methodology that allows us to extract any
    > meaning from text as long as we believe it is consistent with
    > the author's intent is fraught with problems, not the least of
    > which is a complete disregard for the very probable existence
    > of our own preconcieved notions.

    Well said. I wish I could have put it so well.

    Richard Wein (Tich)
    See my web pages for various games at http://homepages.primex.co.uk/~tich/