Dating Old Rocks (was Dennett's bad word ...)

From: Steven M. Smith (smsmith@helios.cr.usgs.gov)
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 13:12:50 EST

    Wed, 22 Mar 2000 21:56:39 -0700, Allen wrote:
    >From: Terry M. Gray <grayt@lamar.colostate.edu>
       [Snipped Terry's 1st Paragraph]
    >> But, what if, oh and it seems a big what if in the contemporary
    >> discussion,
    >> what if, you are a theist and a creationist (i.e. you believe that God
    >> created), but you also believe that God could have created however he
    >> pleased (including using evolutionary processes) and that you are willing
    >> to let the evidence tell you how he did it (not your interpretation of
    >> Genesis)??????
    >
    >The key here is; What is the evidence for evolution? We all acknowledge
    >genetic variation, which might be called, in one sense, evolution. However,
    >the evolution we are discussing here is the application of genetic variation
    >over a long period of time resulting in the varieties of life forms that now
    >exist. The evidence for this is interpreted from the fossil record and the
    >interpretation of vast ages of the rocks. If the rocks are old then the
    >fossils would represent a record of life over vast ages. Are the
    >sedimentary rocks old? The results of radiometric dating are offered as
    >evidence of the vast ages of the rocks.
    >
    >However, one of the axioms (or presuppositions) for radiometric dating is
    >that the rocks are old enough to be dated. Thus one must first asume that
    >the rocks are old before you can date them. Consequently, radiometric dates
    >cannot provide evidence of the old age of the rocks because old age is
    >already assumed in the dating method. You cannot prove what you assume.

    Allen,
    I don't have time to reply in detail to this entire post but I was enticed
    out of my lurking mode by this "radiometric age dates" argument. I'll leave
    the much anticipated discussion of Evolutionary Creationist's motives,
    theology, etc for Terry ;^)

    This is at least the second time that I have seen you make this argument for
    circular reasoning in age dating. In a sense, you are correct. I assume
    "that the rocks are old enough to be dated." I also assume that my
    14-yr-old daughter is old enough to be dated ... in the sense that we can
    assign an age to her, NOT in the sense in which she would prefer. The point
    is that assuming an object is old enough for its age to be determined
    doesn't invalidate the measured age. All I need is the right method.

    But let's take this a little further. I'm assuming that your argument is
    really that we (geologists) assume some igneous rock is in the neighborhood
    of 1 billion yrs old and then we choose a radiometric method (like K-Ar,
    Rb-Sr, U-Pb, Lu-Hf, Re-Os, or Sm-Nd) which will give us measurements in that
    neighborhood. You are again correct ... in the sense that I would use an
    instrument calibrated to thousandths of a second to time a 50-meter dash and
    yet use another timepiece to determine the winning time of the Iditarod dog
    sled race. Those chosen methods do not invalidate the measured age, they
    just differ in their relative precision.

    Let me throw out one piece of empirical evidence that suggests that we are
    in the right ballpark when we try to date the oldest rocks in billions of
    years rather than in the 6,000 to 10,000 yr range. For the 103 to 105 known
    elements, there are in the neighborhood of 1,000 known isotopes, of which
    perhaps 60-70% are unstable and decay radiometrically. The majority of
    these radioactive isotopes have half-lifes on the order of a few
    milleseconds to a few days. A small but significant number are measured in
    years. Only a handfull have half-lifes greater than 1 million years. (These
    numbers are guestimates that I've made from the Table of Isotopes found in
    my 57th edition of the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics (pages B-270 to
    B354, 1976). Since they annually review and revise this 4" thick book, you
    should be able to find a new version in any public library.)

    With only a few exceptions, none of these radioactive isotopes with
    half-lifes less than about 700 million years are found in nature.
       Exception #1: Radioactive isotopes produced by the decay of
           elements with half-lifes greater than 700 million years.
       Exception #2: Radioactive isotopes produced by known and natural
           processes like the production of Carbon-14 by sunlight
           in the upper atmosphere.
       Exception #3: Radioactive isotopes produced and released by man.

    Since the average life expectancy of any radiometric isotope is on the order
    of 10 times the half-life, we can reasonably infer that the elements of
    which our earth is composed were created no less than about 1-7 billion
    years ago.

    Here is a table that was sent to me. I haven't checked all the numbers but
    the few that I did agree with the data in the CRC Handbook. In the Y/N
    column, a Y means that it is found naturally occurring, a N means that it
    has not been found. An * means that the elements is produced by the decay of
    another element with a half-life greater than 700 million years. Note that
    Pu-244 is man-made plutonium that was probably released by nuclear testing.

    Nuclide Halflife (Yrs) Y/N
     V-50 6,000,000,000 M.Y. Y
    Nd-144 2,400,000,000 M.Y. Y
    Hf-174 2,000,000,000 M.Y. Y
    Pt-192 1,000,000,000 M.Y. Y
    In-115 600,000,000 M.Y. Y
    Gd-152 110,000,000 M.Y. Y
    Te-123 12,000,000 M.Y. Y
    Pt-190 690,000 M.Y. Y
    La-138 112,000 M.Y. Y
    Sm-147 106,000 M.Y. Y
    Rb-87 48,800 M.Y. Y
    Re-187 43,000 M.Y. Y
    Lu-176 35,000 M.Y. Y
    Th-232 14,000 M.Y. Y
     U-238 4,470 M.Y. Y
     K-40 1,250 M.Y. Y
     U-235 704 M.Y. Y
    -------------
    Pu-244 82 M.Y. Y
    Sm-146 70 M.Y. N
    Pb-205 30 M.Y. N
     U-236 23.9 M.Y. Y*
     I-129 17 M.Y. Y*
    Cm-247 16 M.Y. N
    Hf-182 9 M.Y. N
    Pd-107 7 M.Y. N
    Mn-53 3.7 M.Y. Y*
    Cs-135 3 M.Y. N
    Te-97 2.6 M.Y. N
    Np-237 2.14 M.Y. N
    Gd-150 2.1 M.Y. N
    Be-10 1.6 M.Y. Y*
    Zr-93 1.5 M.Y. N
    Tc-98 1.5 M.Y. N
    Dy-154 1 M.Y. N

    Out of curiosity, I would like to see what the YEC position on this
    empirical data is.

    Steve
    [The opinions expressed herein are my own
    and are not to be attributed to my employer.]

     Steven M. Smith, Geologist Office: (303)236-1192
     U.S. Geological Survey Fax: (303)236-3200
     Box 25046, M.S. 973, DFC smsmith@usgs.gov
     Denver, CO 80225
     --The USGS National Geochemical Database NURE HSSR Data Web Site--
      http://greenwood.cr.usgs.gov/pub/open-file-reports/ofr-97-0492/