Re: Disbelieving Darwin and Feeling No Shame, by William Dembski

From: MikeBGene@aol.com
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 23:58:15 EST

    In a message dated 3/21/00 11:19:37 AM Dateline Standard Time,
    hadley@reliant.yxi.com writes:

    >What? If you only saw the first paragraph, I can somewhat
    >understand how you could say that, but the second paragraph is
    >clear that the solution to parents who teach their children to
    >doubt Darwinism is not quarantine of the parents but "deprogramming"
    >of the children.

    Don't agree. "Deprogramming" children (wasn't this common with
    communists?) is indeed quarantine-in-action. An intimate part of
    of the parent-child relationship is to pass on one's traditions and beliefs.
    To "deprogram" is to disrupt this process and thus quarantine the
    parent's beliefs. How would you like it the Religious Right came to power
    and merely wanted to "deprogram" your children as soon as possible?

    >"At the very least" may sound ominous but
    > the first paragraph is also quite clear that quarantine is only
    >necessitated, in Dennett's view, if those to be quarantined
    >perceive opposing views as an "intolerable threat" and will
    >commit violence to eliminate them (i.e., rather than peacefully
    >coexist).

    I think Dennett views the mere existence of religious fundamentalism as
    an intolerable threat. Dennett says nothing about committing violence and
    we have no idea how he interprets "peaceful."

    >It is obvious that parents merely teaching their children opposing
    >views are not in that category.

    That's your perception.

    >Note the word "peacefully", please. I wholeheartedly endorse
    >quarantining any faction or group that can not peacefully
    >resolve its differences with society. Terrorism should never
    >be tolerated.

    Let's explore this. If acts of terrorism are committed, we put the
    terrorists in jail. This is already done and since Dennett is talking
    about what needs to be done, I doubt he simply means this. Now,
    let's take away the violent ACTS. Are you suggesting quarantine of
    those you think might commit violent acts in the future? Y'know,
    quarantine of "potential" terrorists. My, are we entering the realm of
    thought police here? What type of quarantine would you actually
    institute? Leper colonies for those you think MIGHT commit terrorism?
    Please explain.

    >Dennett is guilty of using too many hot-button terms in his
    >rhetoric but he clearly didn't imply what Dembski says.

    I guess he's not a good writer after all.

    Mike