Quantum evolution

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 09:16:41 EST

    I read a couple of articles which moved me from design as a rather apparent
    observation, to design as an inescapable conclusion, to design as a viable
    scientific assumption.

    http://www.discovery.org/w3/discovery.org/crsc/crscviews/message.html

    http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Aegean/8830/mathproofcreat.html

    I've come across other thoughts on biology which appeal to me, and might be
    called quantum evolution. Quantum physics hinted that mind was a part of
    reality, and made room for both materialists and non materialists in physics.
      Perhaps a belief that mind is a possible active participant in the process
    of life could do the same for biology. It does suggest mind as another
    possible designer. This might be more acceptable than God for those
    materialists obsessed with a paranoid fear that religion is going to get
    them.
    Bertvan

    http://www.surrey.ac.uk/qe/Outline.htm
    excerpt:
    Proposing that DNA or cells choose their destiny may appear nonsensical,
    and it is certainly not intended to imply any kind of conscious choice
    in simple cells. However, even classical science has a problem with what
    we call 'conscious choice' or free will. According to Newtonian
    mechanics, future events are entirely determined by what happened
    before. We may believe we make decisions but classical deterministic
    science tells us that we are fooling ourselves. Our destiny and every
    action we make are determined by a series of previous events whose
    ultimate source is the Big Bang. Quantum mechanics allows an escape from
    this gloomy outlook because quantum systems are not entirely
    deterministic. Although bacteria are certainly not conscious and do not
    know that they are making a decision, I believe those same quantum
    dynamics - though involving electromagnetic fields rather than DNA - are
    responsible for what we call our 'free will'.

    At its most fundamental, life and consciousness are quantum phenomenon.
    We owe our existence to quantum evolution.

    http://www.u.arizona.edu/~hameroff/tics.html
    Consciousness may involve subtle links between the brain and
    fundamental spacetime geometry.

    http://www.u.arizona.edu/~hameroff/cambrian.html
    Excerpt
    Consciousness and Evolution

    When and where did consciousness emerge in the course of evolution? Did
    it happen as recently as the past million years, for example concomitant
    with language or tool making in humans or primates? Or did consciousness
    arrive somewhat earlier, with the advent of mammalian neocortex 200
    million years ago (Eccles, 1992)? At the other extreme, is primitive
    consciousness a property of even simple unicellular organisms of several
    billion years ago (e.g. as suggested by Margulis and Sagan, 1995)? Or
    did consciousness appear at some intermediate point, and if so, where
    and why? Whenever it first occurred, did consciousness alter the course
    of evolution?