Re: Disbelieving Darwin and Feeling No Shame, by William Dembski

From: MikeBGene@aol.com
Date: Sun Mar 19 2000 - 22:19:43 EST

    Hi Rich,

    You wrote:

    >But Dennett does not equate those who "cannot peacefully
    >coexist with the rest of us" with those who teach their children
    >falsehoods.

    It looks to me as if this is a reasonable interpretation. So all
    we have is a difference in opinion about how to interpret what
    Dennett means. The solution is obvious: Dennett needs to more
    clearly spell out exactly what he means. Who exactly is he
    talking about? Who are the "we" that will "educate" the children,
    as early as possible, who learn "falsehoods" from their parents
    and what exactly are these "falsehoods?" After all, Dennett includes
    in this list of "falsehoods" a denial of his faith that humans are
    the products of natural selection. Being the True Believer that
    he is, he apparently misses the rich irony that he has adopted the
    position of the Inquisitor.

    Rich:

    >You may guess it to be part of the quarantine "plan".
    >Dennett doesn't say that it is.

    No, he doesn't. But he does precede his re-education
    intentions with talk about quarantines. He does write,

    "and those whose visions dictate that they cannot peacefully
    coexist with the rest of us we will have to quarantine as best
    we can."

    Notice the assumption that he is among those powerful enough
    to institute such a quarantine. Now, Dennett is an establishment
    guy, a smart guy, and a good writer, as you say. Surely he
    thus knows that the word "quarantine" is radioactive. Yet he
    chose to use it anyway. So we need to cross-examine him
    to see exactly what he means by quarantine, how will this
    work, who will implement it, and who exactly is to be
    quarantined. What does he mean by "peaceful" coexistence?
    He can't be simply thinking in terms of physical violence, as
    we have no need for quarantines there; we have prisons.

    Rich:

    >No, it's a matter of what Dennett actually says, as opposed
    >to what Dembski thinks he says.

    But what *is* he actually saying? What is the quarantine?
    What does he mean by peaceful coexistence? What
    purported falsehoods does he have in mind?

    Rich:

    >Dembski should exercise more caution when paraphrasing.
    >Misrepresentation is death to reasoned debate.

    So too is the dripping arrogance of someone like Dennett.
    So too is the use of the explosive term "quarantine." So too
    is the declared intention to "educate" another person's child in your
    faith.

    If Dembski misrepresents Dennett, then Dennett can come
    out and more fully explain what he was trying to say. He
    can set the record straight and while he is at it, provide his
    evidence that it was indeed natural selection that evolved
    humans.

    So I don't see much use in arguing over different interpretations
    of the same text. I'd rather Dennett himself more fully explain
    what he meant. And perhaps it will take something like
    Dembski's interpretation to bring this about.

    Mike