An introduction #1

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Sun Mar 19 2000 - 12:53:14 EST

    Hi Richard,

    I may not be all that clear on content and specifics, but I really admire
    your debating style. I especially like that "opinion noted" response. Think
    of the words we can save!!

    Bertvan

    (Snipping all but Richard's responses)

    Like you, I only have a limited amount of time to devote to this debate.
    While I will occasionally make the time to do a search of the archives in
    order to substantiate a point, I prefer to reserve that for the important
    points. If you want to make an issue of this, then I'll do it. Otherwise, I
    invite you to just treat my claim as hearsay.

    The difference between making up one's mind and making an absolute claim
    seems reasonably clear to me. I suppose it could be made clearer, but this
    is not an issue of sufficient interest to me to justify the time.

    By "common descent", I of course meant "common ancestry". And I was
    referring to common ancestry of all extant organisms. Sorry for any
    confusion.

    Creationists do not agree with common ancestry. (Perhaps a few evolutionists
    might not go so far as to assert a common ancestry for *all* organisms, but
    they would at least agree on the common ancestry, say, of all vertebrates.)

    While Gould places more emphasis on genetic drift than do some others, he
    doesn't deny the importance of natural selection:

    "And, yes again, I know of no scientific mechanism other than natural
    selection with the proven power to build structures of such eminently
    workable design."
    (http://www.nybooks.com/nyrev/WWWarchdisplay.cgi?19970612034F@p3)

    I've already said that I'm more inclined to the views of Dawkins than of
    Gould, and I briefly explained why (see below).

    Opinion noted.

    Opinion noted.

    I don't know. Maybe it's because he thinks his version fits the facts
    better. Or maybe not. But I'm pleased to see that, unlike Bertvan, you don't
    object to questioning people's motives.

    So you agree now that these are details, not fundamentals?

    See below.

    You think it's "virtually meaningless" to say that mutation, genetic drift
    and natural selection all play a part in evolution (even if I don't specify
    their relative importance)? That's a strange usage of "virtually
    meaningless". And I certainly don't think that any creationist would agree
    that common ancestry of all organisms is virtually meaningless.

    I doubt anyway if the differences are as great as your hypothetical figures
    imply. See the quote above from Gould about natural selection.

    By the way, it doesn't make much sense to talk about the relative importance
    of mutation, because all the evolutionists you mentioned would agree that
    mutation is essential to both the other mechanisms (natural selection and
    drift), and not an independent mechanism of evolution.

    I was referring to evidence from "junk DNA". But I was using the word
    "experiments" rather loosely. Strictly, you can't carry out experiments on
    past processes (unless you have a time travel machine!). So I concede I made
    an error here, and retract the point.

    The theory of evolution concerns both past processes and current processes.
    Only the latter are amenable to experiment. In this respect, the theory
    differs from the theory of relativity, which is only concerned with current
    processes.

    I don't claim that my analogy with relativity is perfect -- there's no such
    thing as a perfect analogy. I have read claims that the theory of evolution
    has been verified to a greater level of confidence than the theory of
    relativity. I don't know if that claim is justified. I'm somewhat sceptical
    about it, and have never made it myself.

    The point I was making was that we all accept theories for which we haven't
    personally checked all the evidence.

    By the way, when you say that you provisionally accept common ancestry, do
    you mean common ancestry of all extant organisms, or something more limited?

    Thank you for drawing my attention to these interesting articles, which I
    was previously unaware of.

    These scientists are proposing speculative theories which, if confirmed,
    would appear to solve some known problems with the existing paradigm. That's
    the way science works.

    The YECs, on the other hand, are making their claim on no basis other than
    that the existing paradigm conflicts with their religious dogma.

    I don't claim that there's a precise line between pseudoscience and
    speculative science -- I think there's a gray area in between. But it's
    clear to me that the YECs are well to one side of that grey area, and the
    scientists you quote are probably on the other.

    I was being somewhat rhetorical there. My point was that Jaki's claim is so
    vague as to amount to nothing more than another opinion.

    Should I be concerned about what a "group of students" thought in 1959, even
    if there number was "not inconsiderable"? Especially as only some undefined
    proportion of them were "strongly in disagreement", while the others were
    either "not particularly interested" or didn't consider the matter to be of
    "any particular importance"? And we're only told that they disagreed with
    "much of current thought". Does that mean they were anti-evolutionists?

    Jaki makes it clear that the "respectable minority" he's referring to are
    those who are "against the majority position represented by Darwinists." But
    Gould and Lewontin *are* Darwinists, so he was not including them.

    You seem to be assuming that atheists are more interested in remaining
    atheists than in knowing the truth. That may be true of some (but probably
    not many). It isn't true of me. If there is a God out there, I'd really like
    to know about it! My being an atheist is a result of failing to find
    evidence of God; it isn't my goal. Most atheists started off as theists (to
    a greater or lesser degree), so have already shown themselves prepared to
    change their minds.

    True, although a biblical literalist can't accept evolution and remain a
    biblical literalist.

    Richard Wein (Tich)
    See my web pages for various games at http://homepages.primex.co.uk/~tich/