Re: Disbelieving Darwin and Feeling No Shame, by William Dembski

From: Richard Wein (tich@primex.co.uk)
Date: Sun Mar 19 2000 - 10:20:59 EST

    I haven't got time to write a critique of Dembski's article, but I'd like to
    point out that he misquotes Daniel Dennet.

    Dembski writes:
    >Daniel Dennett even recommends
    >"quarantining" parents who teach their children to doubt Darwinism
    >(see the end of his *Darwin's Dangerous Idea*).

    Dembski has here conflated ideas from two paragraphs, and created a meaning
    which is expressed by neither of them. So you can judge for yourselves, here
    are the two consecutive paragraphs in full:

    "We should not expect this variety of respect [for religions] to be
    satisfactory to those who wholeheartedly embody the memes we honor with our
    attentive--but not worshipful--scholarship. On the contrary, many of them
    will view anything other than enthusiastic conversion to their own views as
    a threat, even an intolerable threat. We must not underestimate the
    suffering such confrontations cause. To watch, to have to participate in,
    the contraction or evaporation of beloved features of one's heritage is a
    pain only our species can experience, and surely few pains could be more
    terrible. But we have no reasonable alternative, and those whose visions
    dictate that they cannot peacefully coexist with the rest of us we will have
    to quarantine as best we can, minimizing the pain and damage, trying always
    to open a path or two that may come to seem acceptable.

    "If you want to teach your children that they are the tools of God, you had
    better not teach them that they are God's rifles, or we will have to stand
    firmly opposed to you: your doctrine has no special glory, no intrinisic and
    inalienable merit. If you insist on teaching your children falsehoods--that
    the Earth is flat, that "Man" is not a product of evolution by natural
    selection--then you must expect, at the very least, that those of us who
    have freedom of speech will feel free to describe your teachings as the
    spreading of falsehoods, and will attempt to demonstrate this to your
    children at the earliest opportunity. Our future well-being--the well-being
    of all of us on the planet--depends on the education of out descendants."

    This passage is frequently misquoted by anti-evolutionists.

    Richard Wein (Tich)
    See my web pages for various games at http://homepages.primex.co.uk/~tich/