Re: Marxism and Darwinism

From: Susan Brassfield (Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 17:40:27 EST

    >Richard:
    >>It speaks about their motivation, which is important for a public body,
    >>where conflicts of interest may occur.
    >>I would certainly question the judgement of a public body which consults a
    >>religious organization on a matter of science education.
    >
    >Bertvan:
    >Hi Richard. If there were atheists on the Kansas school board, would the
    >board's action be suspect even though the document they produced said nothing
    >about religion? If the board had consulted an atheist scientist, would that
    >suggest a conflict of interest? If they consulted the ACLU, should their
    >motives be regarded as suspect by everyone who disagrees with the ACLU?

    If the School Board were developing guidlines for a class on the history of
    religion and consulted the American Society of Atheists, one might wonder
    why. For the Board to consult a religious body when developing science
    standards causes the same question. They skate extremely close to
    establishing Christianity as the defacto state religion.

    The ACLU defends civil liberties like freedom of speech and freedom of
    religion. Who disagrees with that?

    >Bertvan
    >http://members.aol.com/bertvan
    >
    >P.S. In this battle over what school children are allowed learn, I am
    >delighted with the idea that "design theory" be considered illicit. I can
    >think of no better way to attract the interest of children.

    wait till they find out that ID is religion. :-) they'll quickly lose
    interest!!!

    Susan

    For if there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing
    of life as in hoping for another and in eluding the implacable grandeur of
    this one.
    --Albert Camus

    http://www.telepath.com/susanb/