Re: Darwinism

From: Richard Wein (tich@primex.co.uk)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 20:37:00 EST

    From: Cliff Lundberg <cliff@noe.com>

    >someone:
    >>>Well, since I was referring to a different point from you, that was not
    the
    >>>poll question I had in mind. I wanted to know whether most professional
    >>>biologists in your university would agree that those who are
    characterized
    >>>by Gould and Eldredge as "ultra-Darwinians" are "a very narrow set of
    >>>neo-Darwinists".
    >
    >BDH:
    >>Yes, I realized this :), sorry for not being clearer. One reason for my
    >writing
    >>the poll question as above was to make it clear we were talking of
    different
    >>things.
    >
    >For purposes of this discussion, could ultra-Darwinists be characterized
    >simply as pure gradualists, as Darwin himself was?

    Firstly, I'd like to drop the use of the term "ultra-Darwinians", which I
    consider to be a highly misleading one. Instead I'll refer to the people
    concerned as orthodox neo-Darwinians (as opposed to the punctuated
    equilibrists).

    The answer to your question is no. The punctuated equilibrists are
    gradualists too -- they believe in evolution by small changes, not
    saltation. And neither the orthodox neo-Darwinians nor Darwin himself
    believe(d) that evolution proceeds at a constant speed.

    The differences between the two camps cannot be summed up so simply, and
    concern more than just the jumpiness of evolution. As far as I can see the
    differences are a matter of emphasis, not of principle; but Gould et al seem
    to be trying to make out that the differences are more fundamental than they
    really are.

    Richard Wein (Tich)
    See my web pages for various games at http://homepages.primex.co.uk/~tich/