Re: Evolutionary history of rape

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Sat Mar 11 2000 - 22:53:11 EST

    > An interesting interview with an author of A Natural History of Rape.
    >
    > It's very unfortunate that words like "normal" are used, since the word
    has
    > both a merely statistical historical meaning -- as they use it when they
    say
    > rape is "normal" -- and a moral meaning, which they emphatically don't
    use.

    > Frankly, social scientists will often enough intentionally conflate these
    > uses when it suits their own ideological views (thereby deceptively,
    > fallaciously, and extremely subtly transferring whatever strength their
    > empirical claims seem to have to their ideological views. Sexologists
    [who
    > typically seem barely to be scientists, if at all, and certainly not
    > philosophers, though they play them on TV] in particular seem to have a
    deep
    > passion for this). But this time that common erroneous but "useful"
    > conflation is making a theory even more controversial than it would
    > otherwise be.
    > http://www.newscientist.com/opinion/opinion.jsp?id=ns222611

    There are many variants of this fallacy. It appears to appear obviously
    fallacious to you, as it does to me, and yet, you are right: It is committed
    ad nauseum by a certain kind of "liberal" scientist, and by some
    philosophers as well (and, of course, by many laypeople). I find it annoying
    no matter when it's committed, but I have a special distaste for it when it
    is committed in an attempt to support views I agree with and want to see
    *objectively* supported.

    I think, though, that there is a kind of "natural" reason for committing it.
    Many people, especially scientists, reject traditional views of morality,
    but they have no rational alternative (and, in fact, generally believe that
    there is none), so they fall back on the idea that whatever is normal in
    some biological sense must also be normal in a moral sense. It's a pitiful
    line of reasoning, but it's all they have. Oddly, many people don't see any
    conflict between claiming that there is no objective basis for morality
    *and* simultaneously claiming that something *they* dislike is immoral (I've
    even seen such people become morally outraged by the claim that there *is*
    such a thing as an objective basis for morality -- if there is no such
    basis, then such outrage cannot be justified).

    Interestingly, many on the religious right commit the same error in a
    slightly different form. Many such people hold that whatever is
    traditionally *accepted* by their culture or subculture as morally normal
    *is* morally normal.

    Both the liberal and the conservative versions miss the point of morality,
    which is to specify what is right and wrong objectively, *independently* of
    any such accidents of history. Morality *must* be based on our nature, but
    not on what we happen to do or be inclined to do, but on what we our
    objective *needs* dictate. It may be "normal" (statistically) for males of
    some species to rape, but it is *harmful* to one's chances of happiness to
    do so, even if one is not caught (anyone want to try to claim and prove that
    rape *contributes* to the rapist's happiness (if any)?).

    In the case of humans, it does not even seem to be normal in a statistical
    sense (that is, rape is, I hope, committed by less than 32 percent of the
    male population physically able to do so (outside the middle two standard
    deviations, so to speak)). Of course, there is another sense of "normal":
    Evolutionarily successful in the sense of persisting as a stable component
    of the population because it spreads the genes of the rapist and thus
    encourages their perpetuation.

    However, this cannot rationally be used to justify any claims of moral
    normalcy, either. The rapist's genes may be better off because he rapes, but
    *he* is not better off. And, now that we are about to be able to manipulate
    genes even after birth, it may well become suicidal for any genes that truly
    promote rape (if there really are any; my suspicion is that there are only
    genes that encourage a general pattern of mental behavior that happens at
    times to lead to rape).

    --Chris

    --Chris