Marxism and Darwinism

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 14:37:47 EST

    Subj: Re: Marxism and Darwinism

    Ted:
    > Materialists see most forms of creationism as a step backwards--
    > as regress rather than progress, superstition rather than science.
    > Fearing *belief in* creationism is no different then fearing
    >belief in astrology, or belief in witchcraft.

    Bertvan
    Hi Ted. I, personally, don't "fear" belief in astrology, witchcraft or
    anything else. I can't believe such ideas are much of a threat to anyone at
    the moment. I never "feared" belief in communism. Beliefs damage no one.
    Actions, including attempts to suppress freedom of ideas, do. McCarthy was
    entitled to his beliefs about the dangers of communism; he should have been
    prevented from ruining the lives of people who disagreed with him.

    Ted:
    > Why not acknowledge that natural mechanisms appear to result
    > in infinitely complex design and let everyone come to their
    > own conclusions about the origin of natural mechanisms (in
    >the absence of evidence)?

    Bertvan:
    The "evidence" is available to us all. We interpret it differently.
    Materialists are entitled to their interpretation. Anything I say is merely
    in support of those expressing what I see as a minority view, not any attempt
    to change the beliefs of some materialist. Conflict of ideas is part of a
    healthy culture. Lack of conflict would ensure stagnation. If science is
    going to declare that only materialistic interpretations are scientific, such
    a position should be made clear. Non materialists would then feel free to
    "take science with a grain of salt". The problem might be that not all
    scientists are dedicated materialists. Many physicists have come to terms
    with a quantum universe. Would you boycott all non materialists from debate
    in scientific publications, and insist they pursue careers elsewhere? Or can
    you accept a legitimate difference of opinion about the existence of Design?

    Bertvan