If we can cure homophobia, maybe we can cure materialism

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 10:46:02 EST

    >every time you launch into this rant I hear the rattle of chains. Back
    >before the evil materialists figured out a way to manage mental illness
    >with "persuasion and intimidation or by chemical and surgical manipulation
    >of the brain." The used to do the kind and enlightened thing--chain them in
    >a dungeon. Before the evil materialists tried to figure out the
    >non-naturalistic basis of mental illness the enlightened non-materialists
    >thought it was caused by demons or evil spirits.

    Hi Susan,
    You do seem to have a consistent reaction to skepticism. Anyone questioning
    Darwinism is

    "A YEC, believes in the tooth fairy, or is trying to impose some religious
    belief on everyone."

    Similarly, anyone skeptical of the effectiveness of psychiatry is

    "advocating chaining mental patients in dungeons".

    By the way, the title was tongue in cheek. I really have no desire to "cure"
    anyone who is satisfied with a materialistic philosophy.

    Bertvan