Re: One step nearer to cloning a human being, etc

From: Cliff Lundberg (cliff@noe.com)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 13:17:40 EST

    Susan Brassfield wrote:

    CL:
    >>Homophobia may have a biological basis. Among terrestrial vertebrates,
    >>sexual mounting is a common symbol of dominance over other males.
    >>Males should instinctively react against this, fighting for their own
    >>dominance. Perhaps this is so deeply ingrained that any suggestion
    >>of sexual advance from another male evokes the reflex.
    >
    >oh? why is it that for a lot of men "no thank you" is enough?

    Scientists shouldn't knee-jerk react against every idea that's new to
    them. In the first place, as a hetero female, you don't possess this
    reflex; but for the male, it may be as strong as a female's instinct
    to protect her baby. The same thing--gene survival--is at stake in
    both cases.

    Whether it's a "no thank you" or a punch in the nose, it's still
    homophobia, still something to be explained. You tell me then, why
    are so many men unhappy with men who are polite and who are not
    competing for the ladies?

    --Cliff Lundberg  ~  San Francisco  ~  cliff@noe.com