Re: One step nearer to cloning a human being, etc

From: Tedd Hadley (hadley@reliant.yxi.com)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 16:07:25 EST

    MikeBGene@aol.com writes
      in message <11.1a4fb90.25f66f3f@aol.com>:
     <snip>
    > Perhaps what we need is more research to determine the extent
    > to which homophobia is genetically based. Maybe one day we can
    > combat this problem by educating young boys that nature made
    > most of them into homophobes. This, of course, would follow
    > their education about how natural selection worked so that most
    > are also potential rapists.
    >
    > Just trying to make this topic fit on a evolution board,
    > Mike

       Although this is obviously a parody, the point begin attempted
       seems to be severely undermined as soon as one realizes that
       homophobia is very likely a subcategory of a larger human tendency
       - xenophobia - which, despite probable genetic basis, is still
       successfully treated by educational approaches. Homosexuality,
       on the other hand, is not so easily "fixed" and programs to
       "convert" homosexuals often fail spectacularly. Thus, the parody
       fails on a key difference.

       (Another key difference that should not be overlooked is in the
       comparison of the hateful and hurtful effects of homophobia to
       the quite benign effects of homosexuality.)