Re: One step nearer to cloning a human being, etc

From: MikeBGene@aol.com
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 10:07:33 EST

    Steve quoted:

    "The Scottish company that created Dolly the Sheep, the
    world's first cloned sheep, is close to producing the world's
    first cloned pig, a breakthrough that moves scientists a step
    closer to making an exact genetic copy of a human being‰¥Ï..
    The ability to clone a pig, which is much more complicated
    than a sheep for reasons that are not fully understood, also
    takes scientists a step nearer to cloning a human. One
    scientist commented: "Theoretically, we are closer to
    cloning a person, but the bigger the animal the harder they
    are to clone. We are still a very long way from cloning a
    whole person."

    These sentences sent chills down my spine. Apparently,
    materialism has so dehumanized human beings that some
    scientists have an cold ,distant objective of "cloning a human."
    Clone a mouse, clone a pig, clone a human. It's all the same
    thing. Apparently they have found a way to get around the laws
    that prevent experimenting on humans without consent - simply
    experiment to make a human, who of course, cannot give consent.
    While the cold, profit-driven scientists can talk about cloning a
    human in the same breath as cloning a pig, it bothers me greatly
    that they lose sight that they are talking about bringing an actual
    *person* into existence in a way that is likely to be quite troubling
    to them.

    Who among you would want to be a clone? Who among you would
    want to grow up as a clone? As children, part of the greatness of
    being human is being unique. Moms tell their kids how special they
    are because no one is like them. What will the clone's mom say? We
    loved your deceased brother so much we decided to have him live
    through you? Isn't that what the clone will hear? In the human reality
    that is completely ignored by these greedy scientists, a human being
    will come into existence and know that he/she exists as the product
    of an experiment. He/she will know that in some way, someone else
    was chosen as their genetic identity. That other person's existence
    will always haunt and threaten the clone's sense of self. I simply can't
    imagine the psychological trauma that would involve. The lost sense
    of identity that all teens experienced would seem heart-wrenching for
    this clone.

    Some might point to identical twins. Yes, but such twins are not
    chosen to be identical. Instead, they grow up as close brothers or
    sisters and develop a unique relationship. A clone would be quite
    different.

    And as if the psychological problems would not be enough, there
    are biological concerns. If a 42-year old man was cloned, then the
    clone's DNA would be 43 years at birth. The problem is that somatic
    mutations accumulate with age (which is why may cancers are old age
    diseases) , thus a clone might very well be more likely to acquire an
    "old age" disease as an adolescent. Can we be sure that clones will
    not be much more likely to develop colon cancer or Alzheimer's disease
    as a teen? After all, Dolly' teleomeres look abnormally "old." The only
    way to find out is to make the clone - to do the experiment. But that
    seems too risky to me. It's gambling with someone else's life without
    their consent. And I would hope than any Biotech company that makes
    human clones can be held legally responsible for any pain-and-suffering
    the clone may experience.

    Of course, these risks might be worth it if there was a very good and
    powerful reason to clone humans. For example, if the human race
    was headed towards extinction and needed to repopulate itself, cloning
    could be useful. But in an overpopulated world, I can think of no good
    reason to clone a human.

    Mike