Re: Definitions

From: Allen & Diane Roy (Dianeroy@peoplepc.com)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 21:24:25 EST

    From: Susan Brassfield <Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu>
    > no. You first agree that isotopes decay at a steady rate, all agree what
    > that rate is, and then pick up any rock whether it's old or not and see
    how
    > much of a certain isotope is left in it.

    First you measure to the greatest accuracy possible the relevant isotopes
    from the rocks.

    Then you compute the date according to the following assumptions:
    1. Isotope decay at steady rate.
    2. Daughter element produce by in situ decay only
    3. The sample is close with no gain or loss of parent element.
    4. The rock is as old as can be computed from the measurements.
    If any of these is invalid, the date computer is invalid as is illustrated
    by the following formula. Let f(m,d) be a function which computes a date
    using (m) mother and (d) daughter measurements.

    f(m,d) AND (asm 1) AND (asm 2) AND (asm 3) AND (asm 4) = True

    only if all elements are true. If any part is invalid then the whole thing
    is false:

    f(m,d) AND (asm 1) AND (asm 2) AND (False) AND (asm 4) = False

    The quotes I listed yesterday showed that asumptions 2 and 3 are commonly
    false. And Assumption 4 is accepted as true or false according to you
    personal beliefs.

    > Woodmorappe is not a reliable source. He has a HUGE ax to grind. Do you
    > have something else?

    Yes he does and he is right! He is more reliable that most others on this
    list. But that has nothing to do with whether the agreement between random
    numbers occurs or not. They do.

    > ah! a point of agreement! Anyone sufficiently vague can predict the
    future.

    > There will be a big earthquake next year. It's going to rain in the next
    > six months. The end is near.

    True, but the prophecies of the Bible have only one interpretation and one
    fulfillment. They are designed so that only after they have been fulfilled
    will one see the fulfillment. We often hear that the Bible tells the future
    and people like Hal Lindsey have written books in which he fortold the end
    of the world in 1984. He was wrong. That is not how the Bible prophecys
    are to be used. It is only when we look back at history that we see where
    the prophecies of the bible have been fulfilled with amazing precision.

    Allen Roy