Re: Tweaking the Clock of Radioactive Decay

From: Tedd Hadley (hadley@reliant.yxi.com)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 16:56:04 EST

    Cliff Lundberg writes
      in message <4.1.20000302113555.0097e840@pop.sfo.com>:
    > Stephen E. Jones wrote:
    >
    > >As the effect cited seems to increase the rate of decay, and
    > >evolutionists are already being squeezed for time in the origin
    > >of life and the Cambrian Explosion, if it turns out that they
    > >have "a percent or so" less time than originally thought, they
    > >will be even more squeezed!
    >
    > Early Cambrian macroevolution is the inevitable conclusion.
    > There's no other way to save evolutionary theory. It is interesting
    > that geologists may have gone overboard, always looking for the
    > most impressive ages, with the encouragement of Darwinian
    > gradualists, who need all the time they can get. I wonder just
    > what the size of the adjustment would be when applied to the
    > Cambrian. Presumably the effect is greater the further back you
    > go.

       Somehow, this "adjustment" went from uncertain in Jones' article
       to all but certain in your post. Keep the following statements
       from the article in mind:

    | Such fine distinctions matter, for example to researchers who are
    | using the decay of potassium-40 (half-life of 1.25 billion years)
    | to sort out the mass extinction of 250 million years ago (Science,
    | 15 May 1998, p. 1007). But, although potassium-40, like beryllium-7,
    | decays by electron capture, its innermost electrons-the ones most
    | likely to be snagged-are more strongly shielded from external
    | effects. The potassium ion has two complete shells of electrons
    | protecting its two innermost electrons, whereas the beryllium ion
    | has none. Thus, researchers expect the effect of chemical form on
    | potassium-40 to be far less than on beryllium-7.

    | But that won't stop Huh from trying to check the constancy of this
    | clock. Even now he is counting decay rates of rubidium-83. It has
    | an electronic structure that provides even more shielding than does
    | potassium-40, but its 86-day half-life will make experiments
    | reasonably quick to perform. In a few months, he'll know if ancient
    | days are even a tiny bit closer than we thought.

       Keep an eye out for :

    Huh, C.-A. and L.-G. Liu (2000) "Precision measurements of the
    half-lives of some electron-capture decay nuclides: 7Be, 54Mn,
    83Rb, and 84Rb."
       J. Radioanalytical & Nuclear Chemistry (in press).