Re: Happy 191st, Mr.Darwin

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 16:14:00 EST

    Reflectorites

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2000 23:46:22 -0800, Cliff Lundberg wrote:

    [...]

    >>SB>it's the organizing factor. It underlies *all* biological research.

    >MG>Really? In what way does DE underly all biological research?

    CL>Biological researchers refer to DE about as often as surveyors
    >use spherical trigonometry. But the Earth is still round.
    >
    >Organizing factor? I think Linnaeus and others are more important
    >to biology in that sense. DE is a quasi-philosophical idea; scientific,
    >but so general and long-term and mysterious, so limited in useful
    >predictive power, that it seems more important to philosophy than
    >to science.

    Agreed. In fact we have it on the authority of no less than the atheist and
    committed Darwinist Francis Crick, co-discoverer of the structure of DNA,
    that evolutionary arguments don't play a large part in biological research:

    "It might be thought, therefore, that evolutionary arguments would play a
    large part in guiding biological research, but this is far from the case. It is
    difficult enough to study what is happening now. To try to figure out
    exactly what happened in evolution is even more difficult. Thus
    evolutionary arguments can usefully be used as hints to suggest possible
    lines of research, but it is highly dangerous to trust them too much. It is all
    too easy to make mistaken inferences unless the process involved is already
    very well understood." (Crick F.H.C., "What Mad Pursuit', 1990, pp138-
    139)

    When you look at Biology texts, they are organised in structural order
    which reflect the *design* of the organisms. They are definitely not
    organised in any evolutionary order. In fact evolution is usually tacked on
    somewhere, often at the end.

    So one might more justly reword Dobzhansky and say that "nothing in
    biology makes sense except in the light of *design*"!

    "But although the logic seems inescapable, the importance of identifying
    the concept of relationship through descent from common ancestors as
    hypothesis is immediately obvious once one makes a statement like: "fish
    gave rise to amphibians." How can one show that such a statement is
    correct or false, which is a scientifically reasonable thing to want to do?
    Although "finding ancestors" is the traditional paleontologists' "proof,"
    such "historical events" cannot be tested by assembling nice series of fossils
    without discontinuities, because the evolutionary hypothesis is superficially
    so powerful that any reasonably graded series of forms can be thought to
    have legitimacy. In fact, there is circularity in the approach that first
    assumes some sort of evolutionary relatedness and then assembles a pattern
    of relations from which to argue that relatedness must be true. This
    interplay of data and interpretation is the Achilles' heel of the second
    meaning of evolution [organisms are related by descent through common
    ancestry]." (Thomson K.S., "The Meanings of Evolution", American
    Scientist, Vol. 70, September-October 1982, 529-531, 529-530)