Re: Happy 191st, Mr.Darwin

From: Cliff Lundberg (cliff@noe.com)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 02:46:22 EST

    MikeBGene@aol.com wrote:

    >Susan:
    >>it's the organizing factor. It underlies *all* biological research.
    >
    >Really? In what way does DE underly all biological research?

    Biological researchers refer to DE about as often as surveyors
    use spherical trigonometry. But the Earth is still round.

    Organizing factor? I think Linnaeus and others are more important
    to biology in that sense. DE is a quasi-philosophical idea; scientific,
    but so general and long-term and mysterious, so limited in useful
    predictive power, that it seems more important to philosophy than
    to science.

    --Cliff Lundberg  ~  San Francisco  ~  cliff@noe.com