Re: Happy 191st, Mr.Darwin

From: MikeBGene@aol.com
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 19:17:07 EST

    Liz Craig:

    >>Some people have been
    >>troubled by what they see as religious and
    >>sociological implications in it. But Darwin avoided
    >>such speculations. He was not a theologian or a
    >>sociologist, but merely a scientist seeking to know
    >>how the world's incredible variety of plant and animal
    >>life came about.

    I quote:

    >"At some future time, not very distant as measured by centuries, the
    >civilised races of man will almost certainly exterminate and replace
    >throughout the world the savage races. At the same time the
    >anthropomorphous apes... will not doubt be exterminated. The break will
    >then be rendered wider, for it will intervene between man in a more
    >civilised state, as we may hope, than the Caucasian, and some ape as low as
    >the baboon, instead of as at present between the negro or Australian and the
    >gorilla. Charles Darwin, The Descent of Man, p. 201 (Princeton University
    >Press 1981).

    Susan:

    >This isn't much of a surprise (and quite well known). He was a man of his
    >times. He was also quite anti-slavery and fell out with (Captain) over it.

    You missed the point. The point is that Craig is engaged in revisionism.
    Of course, since you say this is all well-known, then using the logic
    you and Chris have used over the last few months (in regards to Johnson),
    you'd have to agree Craig is a liar, right?

    >Just studying plants and animals, eh?

    Craig:

    >>Because of his [Darwin] work, we have
    >>learned of the interconnectedness of life on earth,
    >>advanced to new frontiers of knowledge in medicine and
    >>technology, discovered DNA and mapped the human
    >>genome. The adventure he began in the 19th century
    >>continues in the 21st, as we explore new ways to
    >>improve health and quality of life.

    Me:

    >Darwin's work did indeed help us to learn the interconnectedness
    >of life on earth. But it has nothing whatsoever to do with discovering
    >DNA or mapping the human genome. And it has contributed very little
    >to advances in medicine and technology. Like most romantic
    >revisionists, Craig is seriously confused.

    Susan:

    >Darwin's theory led to the rediscovery of genes because it was one of the
    >weaknesses of his theory. There was *no* mechanism. So a lot of research
    >went into hunting for the mechanism.

    So you really think scientists immediately accepted Darwin's theories
    and then began a search for the mechanism? And *this* was what led to
    the rediscovery? Care to document these interpretations of yours?

    >Science is an inter-linking chain.
    >Darwin > genetics > DNA > human genome project, etc.

    Only a darwinian apologist would replace Mendel with Darwin as the source
    for genetics. Yes, science is an interlinking chain. But why did you begin
    with Darwin? Please tell us exactly how Darwinism helped to uncover
    DNA as the genetic material? As I see it, your chain is so weakly linked that
    one could use the same form of links to make the following progression:

    Darwin > eugenics > Nazism > Holocaust

    I hate to burst your darwinian bubble, Susan, but darwinian evolution is
    quite peripheral to most of biological research.

    >Also the Center for
    >Disease Control would be in deep doo-doo without a knowledge of mutation
    >and natural selection. Why do you think you have to take a flu shot *every*
    >year? Because the viruses mutate and evolve. Why does the doctor tell you
    >to take *all* the antiobitics? Because you don't want to evolve your own
    >personal super-bug. Why do they constantly try to come up with new
    >pesticides? Darwin's little theory again.

    Well, if Darwinism has been guiding medicine and agriculture so much,
    please explain why those in medicine and agriculture have worked to
    select antibiotic-resistant bugs? You would think people guided by Darwinism
    would have foreseen this problem decades ago.

    The bottom line is that Craig is distorting things again. I hardly consider
    the list you cited as "new frontiers of knowledge." Do you have anything
    more or does this about exhaust your list? I have *plenty* of medical
    advances in mind that we can discuss so that you can enlighten me
    on how exactly Darwinian evolution played a crucial role.

    Mike