Re: Happy 191st, Mr.Darwin

From: MikeBGene@aol.com
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 23:41:14 EST

    Liz Craig:

    >Some people have been
    >troubled by what they see as religious and
    >sociological implications in it. But Darwin avoided
    >such speculations. He was not a theologian or a
    >sociologist, but merely a scientist seeking to know
    >how the world's incredible variety of plant and animal
    >life came about.

    "At some future time, not very distant as measured by centuries, the
    civilised races of man will almost certainly exterminate and replace
    throughout the world the savage races. At the same time the
    anthropomorphous apes... will not doubt be exterminated. The break will
    then be rendered wider, for it will intervene between man in a more
    civilised state, as we may hope, than the Caucasian, and some ape as low as
    the baboon, instead of as at present between the negro or Australian and the
    gorilla. Charles Darwin, The Descent of Man, p. 201 (Princeton University
    Press 1981).

    Just studying plants and animals, eh?

    >Because of his [Darwin] work, we have
    >learned of the interconnectedness of life on earth,
    >advanced to new frontiers of knowledge in medicine and
    >technology, discovered DNA and mapped the human
    >genome. The adventure he began in the 19th century
    >continues in the 21st, as we explore new ways to
    >improve health and quality of life.

    Darwin's work did indeed help us to learn the interconnectedness
    of life on earth. But it has nothing whatsoever to do with discovering
    DNA or mapping the human genome. And it has contributed very little
    to advances in medicine and technology. Like most romantic
    revisionists, Craig is seriously confused.

    Mike