Re: Behe by Palevitz

From: Susan B (susan-brassfield@ou.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 20:55:37 EST

    >Me:
    >
    >>This results in the practical exlcusion of any interpretation in the light of
    > >intelligent design. Thus, the evidence uncovered by science is not evidence
    > >for a non-intelligent cause over an intelligent cause, it is only evidence
    > >support ways a non-intelligent cause could have produced something. In
    > >science, a non-intelligent cause for a biotic phenomenon is never tested
    > >against an intelligent cause for such phenomena.
    >
    >Susan:
    >
    >>how would you propose that be done? So far intelligent design consists of
    >>"it looks designed to me."

    MikeBGene:

    >Which is not much different than naturalistic evolution which consists of "it
    >looks evolved to me."

    naturalistic evolution--change in a gene pool over time--has been observed
    to occur. Several times. It can happen if you take your antibiotics
    improperly. It's not much of a mystery. As far as the history of life is
    concerned it's not unreasonable to believe that things that are happening
    today, happened then.

    But you ignored my question. You said "a non-intelligent cause for a biotic
    phenomenon is never tested against an intelligent cause for such phenomena"
    I wanted you to suggest ways this could be done. Obviously, you would not
    have suggested it unless you knew it was possible and some possible ways it
    could be done. What did you have in mind?

    >>What if the very same thing doesn't look
    >>designed to the person standing next to me? How would you figure out
    >>whether it's *actually* designed or not?
    >
    >Well, first you'd need to determine if that other person has a fair and
    >open mind. If they have an axe-to-grind against ID, nothing you
    >can say matters.

    I had more in mind someone from a non-European, non "Christendom"
    background. Someone who had never heard of "design" or an all-powerful
    Middle Eastern creator-god.

    >Now, I've already spoken to these questions of yours. And although you
    >obviously read my contributions to this list, you choose to ignore it
    >and keep asking questions as if they had not been answered.

    in that case perhaps you could cut and paste from the post in which you
    answered those questions. In this post you merely dodged my questions.

    >This indicates to me you don't have a fair
    >and open mind on this issue. Thus, to be quite blunt, I could care less if
    >you are not convinced that something is designed.

    it's a debate list. You have to persuade using evidence and logic. I haven't
    seen much of that.

    Susan
    --------
    Peace is not the absence of conflict--it is the presence of justice.
    --Martin Luther King, Jr.
    Please visit my website:
    http://www.telepath.com/susanb