The universe embedded in a teleological matrix?

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 11:31:08 EST

    Hi Steve,

    Rather than getting tangled up in obscure theories about relativity and
    quantum mechanics, I'd prefer to simply admit all life contains an element of
    creativity -- or free will. Creativity, or free will, is by definition
    unpredictable, and can never be addressed by science. Materialistic
    scientists insist anything "real" is a part of science. Maybe if they can
    describe creativity in such complicated terms that even they don't completely
    understand it, materialists will finally be able to accept the reality of
    free will.

    Bertvan
    http://members.aol.com/bertvan

    ===
    http://www.nytimes.com/books/00/01/30/reviews/000130.30conwayt.html
    The New York Times ... January 30, 2000 Where Are We Headed? Robert
    Wright argues that human history does indeed have a purpose. ... By
    SIMON CONWAY MORRIS. NONZERO The Logic of Human Destiny.
    By Robert Wright.. ... To believe the universe is embedded in a teleological
    matrix -- an overarching design that houses an implicit and eventual end
    point, with the human race having a transcendental destiny ... is widely
    regarded as a quaint delusion, of relevance only to religious fanatics ...
    and
    the mad. And yet here is Robert Wright, who patently falls into none of
    these categories, arguing that human history is not "one damn thing after
    another," but has a direction, purpose and, by implication, a goal.... Yet
    the
    implications of the teleological program are not carried to their logical
    conclusion. For all its boldness and chutzpah, "Nonzero" suffers from a
    failure of nerve. Wright seems reluctant even to consider that inherent in
    the universe are not only quarks and quasars but a moral architecture that it
    could be argued is the source of our teleological instinct.... Wright wages a
    vigorous attack on the basic tenets held by Stephen Jay Gould, whose view
    of evolution as little more than a contingent muddle is in hopeless disarray.
    ... when we move into the realm of animate matter -bacteria, cellular slime
    molds, and, most notably, human beings -the situation strikes me as
    different. The more closely we examine the drift of biological evolution
    and, especially, the drift of human history, the more there seems to be a
    point to it all. ... That we are a product of evolution, however, does not
    reduce us to sleepwalkers. Free will gives us choice and responsibility. To
    imagine that human destiny is entirely mundane may be one of the most
    peculiar errors of the moderns. Throughout "Nonzero" stalks the ghost of
    Teilhard de Chardin, but were this gentle and intelligent Jesuit to have seen
    this book, I think his face might have darkened. Still, we are offered the
    choice. Wright has taken us to the westernmost harbor. The boat is ready
    for departure. The master stands on the quayside; there is one spare place.
    Dare we accept the invitation?. ...