Re: Evolution and Rape (was Re: The Kansas Science EducationStandards)

From: MikeBGene@aol.com
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 21:42:34 EST

    Me:
    > If God used natural
    > selection to create humans, and natural selection created humans with
    > the proclivity to rape, then didn't God create humans with the
    > proclivity to
    > rape?

    John:

    >It's when discussing this that I wish I were back in academia -- I just
    >haven't kept up with the literature and thinking along these lines. I think
    >your question is an excellent and straightforward one, and I'd like to know
    >what convinced evolutionary creationists think about it. I think it's by
    >far the most formidable theological obstacle to evolutionary theory (well,
    >the problem of evil in evolution generally, not just the origin of [parts
    >of?] human nature), and I just haven't had time to read up on it. (Howard,
    >Loren, anyone?)
    > My own utter speculation: presumably evolution itself is fallen, taking
    >place in a fallen universe. This means it too is subject to evil, and does
    >not simply reflect God's will in creation. But even if that's 100% true,
    >it's still 90% vague and speculative. (E.g., exactly what is the source of
    >evil? Presumably creaturely choice -- but which creatures? Satan?
    >Proto-humans? Bacteria and viruses? :^/ And at what level is nature
    >fallen? even the natural law level?? Or just what creatures do within the
    >exclusively God-designed natural laws? Yeah, this should be easy to figure
    >out.)

    Let me add to the utter speculation in a way that makes both Duane Gish
    and Richard Dawkins literally accurate. And yes, it comes from watching too
    many sci-fi movies and TV shows. :)

    God creates as described in Genesis. Man falls as described in Genesis.
    But the Garden that Man is bannished from isn't a place on their earth - it's
    another Universe/space-time line. In a blink of an eye, Adam and Eve
    are transplanted into another reality (ours) where humanity is the product
    of their rebellious act - a reality that would not have existed had they not
    sinned. It's like a parallel universe where Adam and Eve now are the
    products of their sin. Yet through God's grace, they retain the orignal
    imprint of a divine image, such that one day, they, along with this reality,
    will be redeemed. So you ask, which creatures? Why, us of course.

    Yeah, it's sci-fi. But sci-fi is common even among hard-nosed scientists,
    where multiverses compete, exotic alien-like life forms dominate our
    planet in ancient times, and DNA pops into our universe from another
    (see http://unisci.com/stories/20001/0204006.htm). Do I believe it?
    I don't know. But it should show that I have absolutely no theological
    reason for dissin' Darwinism.

    Mike