Re: Researchers build huge DNA chains -- able to create synthetic lifeforms w...

From: MikeBGene@aol.com
Date: Sat Jan 29 2000 - 10:34:53 EST

    In a message dated 1/28/00 12:10:26 PM Dateline Standard Time, ccogan@sfo.com
    writes:

    >I doubt that life originated as DNA-based, or even RNA-based.

    Where is the evidence that life ever existed other than a cellular,
    DNA-based form? I understand your need to believe this, but
    I see not a shred of convincing evidence for your belief.

    >In this respect I agree with critics who say that it's just too improbable
    to get a
    >working organism that way. My guess (with Stuart Kauffman) is that life
    >originated as some sort of loose confederation of molecules that served, as
    >a group, to reproduce the components of the confederation. Selection for
    >stability and reproductive capacity could begin at this level (or even
    >lower, at the level of a single auto-catalyzing simple molecule), leading
    >eventually to "mini-cells" (cell-like structures with a near-minimum of
    >molecular "machinery," vastly simpler than any cells we know of today).

    Yes, this has been the rather fruitless guess for the last 100 years.
    Once again, I understand your need for imaginary entitites vastly
    simpler that what is observed to exist. But how can we falsify this claim?

    Mike