RE: Evolution and Rape (was Re: The Kansas Science Education Standards)

From: John E. Rylander (rylander@prolexia.com)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2000 - 23:07:40 EST

    Mike,

    While it's easy to overstate what these researchers are hypothesizing (and
    they see it as a hypothesis, not anything very firm, I believe), and also
    natural for humans? Don't Christians believe that humans have a sinful
    nature? That fact doesn't simply excuse yielding to it, right?

    Evolutionary psychology is often very speculative, but I think it's
    surprisingly insightful in its comments wrt human sexuality in general, even
    if not -necessarily- in this particular case.

    (Myself, I've never found the typical feminist view of rape -- just a crime
    motivated by violence, not at all sex -- at all cogent, so that doesn't
    count much against this new theory for me. But then, I find feminist
    theories in general to be wanting....)

    John