Re: A cost/benefit analysis (was Jane Fonda has become a Christian!)

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 05:56:45 EST

    Reflectorites

    On Sat, 22 Jan 2000 13:07:10 -0600, Chris Cogan wrote:

    [...]

    >SJ>Chris has *no conception* of how much time and effort I have spent being
    >>sceptical about and confirming by hard thinking what I believe is true, or
    >>how many times I have rejected or modified things that I had believed to
    >>be true but found they weren't.

    >CC>No, but I've seen the *results*. They are *pitiful.*.

    [...]

    As I mentioned the other day, I have been accepted into a university
    degree course (a Bachelor of Science in Biology), part-time.

    Since I will have less time to spend on the Reflector, I will have to
    concentrate on where the greatest cost/benefit is.

    Because Chris has such a low regard for my thinking, as evidenced by
    his comment above (which is just the latest in a seemingly endless
    stream of similar derogatory comments from him about me), my
    cost/benefit analysis is that there is little benefit to be gained for the
    cost in time and effort in responding to Chris' posts.

    It is hard to have a rational discussion with someone who does not
    think one is rational, as well as a fool and a knave to boot!

    Since even reading Chris' emails takes time, and because I am too
    weak-willed to resist replying to provocative posts :-), I have now
    inserted a filter into my emailer so that posts directly from Chris will be
    deleted unread.

    I say this publicly not to embarrass Chris (any such embarrassment is
    regretted), but because he is such a high-profile poster to the List that
    other Reflectorites would be bound to wonder why I am not
    responding to his posts.

    Stephen E. (Steve) Jones ,--_|\ Email: sejones@iinet.net.au
    3 Hawker Avenue / Oz \ Web: http://www.iinet.net.au/~sejones
    Warwick 6024 -> *_,--\_/ Phone: +61 8 9448 7439
    Perth, Western Australia v "Test everything." (1 Thess. 5:21)