Re: Why did progress fail?, etc

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 17:15:19 EST

    Relflectorites

    I apologise for the delay.

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2000 18:39:35 -0800, Brian D Harper wrote:

    [...]

    >>BH>"...My own view on this is
    >>>that I expect the origin of life on Earth occurred naturally, i.e. without
    >>>need of *direct* intervention by God.

    [...]

    >SJ>Taken at face value, if Brian assumes apriori that God did not intervene
    >>supernaturally *even in the origin of life*, then this would seem to make his
    >>position on origins (according to Geisler), indistinguishable from that of
    >>deism:

    BH>Maybe. But the important point is that I do not assume _apriori_
    >that God did not intervene. What I said was what I *expect*, not
    >what I assume. WRT the question of the origin of life my uncertainties
    >are very great.

    OK. I expected this answer! But one needs to unpack this slowly. The
    Webster's online dictionary defines "expect" as including:

    "expect ... to consider probable or certain... to consider reasonable, due, or
    necessary ... ".

    So my next question is, *why* does Brian, a Christian, who believes that God
    intervened repeatedly in Biblical history, "expect" that "God did not intervene
    supernaturally in natural history, *even* in the origin of life?

    >SJ>"Theistic Evolution. By "theistic" evolution is meant the belief that a
    >>theistic God used an evolutionary process he had created to produce all
    >>living species of life. In addition, "theistic" means that God performed at
    >>least one *miracle after his original creation of the universe ex nihilo ....
    >>Otherwise, there is no difference between theism and deism on the matter
    >>of origins. Of course, a theistic evolutionist (who does not deny more than
    >>two supernatural acts of creation) could still believe in other miracles in
    >>the Bible after creation, such as the *Virgin Birth or *resurrection." (Geisler
    >>N.L., "Baker Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics", 1999, p233).
    >>
    >>It certainly would seem to be indistinguishable from Naturalistic Evolution.
    >>If Brian claims to be a Theistic Evolutionist, or an Evolutionary
    >>Creationist, what does the "Theistic" and "Creationist" add to the
    >>"Evolutionist", and "Evolutionary"?

    BH>It would emphasize the point that I believe that God chose to
    >create in a certain way.

    OK. But then Brian, if he wishes to rationally justify his position, needs to
    explain *why* he, a Christian, believes "that God chose to create in a
    certain way" that is not even "Theistic Evolution" (as defined above by
    Geisler) and is in fact "indistinguishable from Naturalistic Evolution"?

    [...]

    >BH>Nevertheless, I do not feel that anyone
    >>>is anywhere close to figuring out how it happened. In fact, I rather suspect
    >>>we may never figure it out.

    >SJ>Brian does not seem to draw the obvious conclusion that if all origin of life
    >>explanations based on naturalistic assumptions have failed, and that in fact
    >>"we may never figure it out", then maybe the naturalistic assumptions were
    >>wrong in the first place?

    BH>First, I have made no naturalistic assumptions myself, I have only
    >provided my expectations. Second, I wrote what I wrote specifically
    >with the idea that the conclusion above is obvious and thus I would
    >not have to state it. So, for the record, naturalistic assumptions
    >that are made by some may indeed be wrong.

    Before Brian can say that "I have made no naturalistic assumptions myself"
    he first needs to show that his "expectations" are not based on hidden (even
    to himself) "naturalistic assumptions".

    >SJ>I understand that Brian is a Christian. I assume that means he believes that
    >>the Biblical God exists, and has intervened repeatedly in this world in the
    >>history of Israel, culminating in Him assuming human form in the person of
    >>Jesus Christ, and living in this world for about 30 years, only some 2000
    >>years ago? Brian presumably believes also that during that time, God, in the
    >>person of Jesus Christ, performed a great many acts of supernatural
    >>interventions in the physical world, and then God intervened in the natural
    >>world by raising Jesus from the dead? Finally, Brian presumably believes
    >>that God will return in the person of Jesus Christ to intervene in the natural
    >>world yet again to raise from the dead every human being who has ever
    >>lived?

    BH>Absolutely.

    Good! But then Brian needs to explain why he believes God intervened
    repeatedly in Biblical history, but did not intervene *at all* in natural
    history, *even* including the origin of life.

    >SJ>Now if Brian believes all this did really happen and will really happen (and
    >>it is difficult to see how he could truly be a Christian if he didn't),
    >>then why does he rule out apriori that God may have supernaturally intervened in
    >>such an important event as the origin of life?

    BH>I don't.

    Brian may *say* that he doesn't "rule out apriori that God may have supernaturally
    intervened in ... the origin of life", but his *expectation* that God didn't
    so intervene functions effectively the same as an apriori rule-out.

    Indeed the Webster's online dictionary defines "a priori" as including:

    "a priori ... 2 a : being without examination or analysis : PRESUMPTIVE b : formed
    or conceived beforehand ..." (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary).

    It is important to realise that this expectation of Brian that "God chose to
    create in a certain way", namely to mimic fully materialistic-naturalistic
    evolution, is not something harmless. Because of his expectations, Brian has
    dedicated himself to opposing those of his Christian brothers who think that God
    has intervened supernaturally in the origin of life: