RE: Any strong challenges to Naturalistic Sufficiency?

From: John E. Rylander (rylander@prolexia.com)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 17:09:53 EST

    Outlooks similar to yours wrt epistemology were fairly commong in the 40s
    and 50s, the zenith of logical positivism and its kin, but has been in
    serious decline since then. (You may be an objectivist: I don't claim to be
    any expert on that, though I've listened to a number of Ayn Rand tapes, and
    they made very little sense to me.)

    In a nutshell, it just begs the question in favor of naturalism. Now, to
    those who take atheism as properly basic (as I think you do, though you may
    not know it), that will seem just fine.

    But to those who aren't atheists (and actually, many today who are), the
    idea that one must assume atheism unless it can be proven false or at least
    unlikely will properly seem preposterous, and the epistemology that produced
    this conclusion na•ve in the extreme. -Obviously- this approach appeals to
    some atheists (I think Antony Flew had an article along these lines: "The
    Presumption of Atheism"); so what?

    Scientism and positivism aren't nearly as popular as they used to be amongst
    philosophers; their fads have long since died, and if you search, you will
    find out why. But given your at once intelligent yet perversely reckless
    rants against theism and Christianity (Hitler and Stalin were men of faith
    in earlier posts of yours -- truly bizarre stuff. And now your big
    question about the resurrection is: did Jesus even exist? ....), I think
    you have some burr buried somewhere that's keeping you from a serious
    exploration of these issues. Until that burr and it's associated postulates
    in your mind are dealt with I think it'd be a waste of enormous amounts of
    time trying to argue you out of "naturalistic sufficiency."