Re: Hydrothermal vents too hot? (was Why did progress fail?, etc)

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 17:13:03 EST

    Reflectorites

    It just so happens that this post contains a number of previous posts, re-
    posted within it. Unfortunately this makes the post long and perhaps
    tedious! I apologise but I could think of no better way of addressing Brian's
    post.

    In fact I have had to split it in two because of it's size (39K) , so I have
    extracted the science self-correcting part out of the middle of Brian's
    post and made it a seprate topic. This will make it easier to read.

    On Sun, 09 Jan 2000 19:51:07 -0800, Brian D Harper wrote:

    [...]

    >>SB>are you guys really sure there has actually been a "shift to space"?
    >>>Stephen has recently posted abstracts of articles on research being done on
    >>>oceanic heat vents and on bacteria found in deep-earth core samples. In
    >>>other words abiogenesis research is alive and well on planet earth. It
    >>>*would* be interesting to find extra-terrestrial life or evidence of it,
    >>>but I think that research is in *addition* rather than *instead of.*

    >SJ>*Today's* bacteria are not evidence for the *origin* of life any more than
    >>today's vertebrates are:
    >>
    >>"...the notion that bacteria are primitive....bacteria have undergone a longer
    >>evolutionary history than the vertebrates." (Lewontin R.C..., 1995, p167).
    >>
    >>Corliss, who discovered the first "oceanic heat vent" (ie. hydrothermal
    >>vent), believes that all the life around such vents migrated there:
    >>
    >>"...Corliss and others agree that current life at the vents
    >>probably migrated there..." (Bradley W.L. & Thaxton C.B., ..., 1994, p194)
    >>
    >>Moreover hydrothermal vents are actually a *problem* for the origin of
    >>life:
    >>
    >>"Stanley L. Miller and his colleague Jeffrey L. Bada...have conducted
    >>experiments which indicate that the incredibly hot water inside these vents
    >>(frequently exceeding 300 degrees C) would destroy complex organic compounds
    ....." (Overman D.L...., 1997, p80).

    >>This is because the superheated water in hydrothermal vents would
    >>*destroy* any organic compounds:
    >>
    >>"Stanley Miller and Jeffrey Bada...suggest the superheated water inside
    >>vents, which sometimes exceeds 572 degrees F, would destroy rather than
    >>create complex organic compounds. As a result, Miller actually considers
    >>the vents a hindrance to the origin of life." (Bradley W.L. & Thaxton C.B.,
    >>1994, p194)

    BH>This is indeed an important issue for abiogenesis. If Miller and Bada
    >are coreect then this presents a difficulty not just for the
    >hydrothermal vent scenario but also for the more traditional view
    >which Miller favors (i.e. discharges in atmosphere yielding amino
    >acids which accumulate over long times in the oceans etc.) due to
    >the relatively rapid circulation of the Earth's early oceans through
    >these vents.

    Agreed. I have an email from Brian which I have kept, and although it was
    private, I am assuming there is nothing confidential about it (after personal
    stuff is deleted), which states that the circulation rate through hydrothermal
    vents was only "every million years":