Re: Why did progress fail?, etc

From: MikeBGene@aol.com
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 16:52:59 EST

    Brian:

    >>This would indicate, to me anyway, that the ball is back in
    >>Miller's court.

    Me:

    >I'm not so sure. Exactly what amino acids were condensed into
    >oligopeptides? And didn't they get anything larger than six glycines
    >linked together?

    Brian:

    >(1) glycine (2) no

    >You seem to be missing the point. Go back and read the quotes
    >that Steve gave. The implication of Miller's experiment is that
    >the hydrothermal vents are a sink for organic materials. This
    >creates a potentially serious problem due to the relatively
    >rapid circulation of the early oceans through these vents.
    >Matsuno's results call Miller's into question. The vents may
    >not have been destructive. They may also have been generative.

    Maybe I'm missing the point, but I don't see how Matsuno's results
    call Miller's into question (at least serious question). As you suggested,
    I reread the quotes, where both talk about these vents destroying
    rather than creating "complex organic compounds." I don't consider
    glycine a "complex organic compound," thus its survival doesn't
    seem all that relevant. Matsuno's results would be more significant
    if they dealt with other more complex amino acids and short peptides
    composed of these amino acids. The Miller/Bada paper looked at
    leucine, serine, and aspartate and found them all to decompose rapidly.
    Furthermore, they too noted that glycine was stable under these heated
    conditions (more accurately, glycine concentrations rose as the more
    complex amino acids decomposed).

    Also, don't forget that amino acids are not the only organics important
    in abiogenesis. The ingredients of the RNA world would quickly
    be decomposed under these hot vents condition (for example, sugars
    survive only a few seconds at these high temps).

    So I still don't see how the Matsuno results put the ball back in Miller's
    court as they didn't address anything other than glycine.

    Mike