Re: Many Worlds?

From: Wesley R. Elsberry (welsberr@inia.cls.org)
Date: Mon Jan 03 2000 - 13:58:11 EST

    Further stuff showing that B&T made the original error and MikeB
    simply repeated it credulously, deleted.

    Wheeler's "Many Worlds" hypothesis isn't about the number of
    planets in the universe, which the Democritus quote appears
    to address.

    I don't have a problem with the questions of teleology being
    discussed by the ancients. I do have a problem with ancient
    quotes that don't connect to the modern counterpart being
    put forward as examples. Perhaps further context in Democritus
    would show that he was not talking about planets and their
    number, but rather whole universes. But until such information
    becomes available, I will continue to be a skeptic of the claim
    that Democritus prefigured Wheeler in any significant sense.

    Wesley