RE: Fred Hoyle's `Mathematics of Evolution'

Susan Brassfield (Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu)
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 16:52:52 -0600

John E. Rylander wrote:

>I think this is substantially overstated. Copernicus didn't keep his mouth
>shut. (I'm thinking of On the Revolutions of the Celestial Spheres; perhaps
>you're thinking of something else, something that he did suppress?)

Encarta:
"Sometime between 1507 and 1515, he completed a short astronomical
treatise, "De Hypothesibus Motuum Coelestium a se Constitutis
Commentariolus" (known as the "Commentariolus"), not published until the
19th century, in which he laid down the principles of his new astronomy.
After moving to Frauenburg in 1512, Copernicus began his major work, "De
Revolutionibus Orbium Coelestium," finished by 1530 but not published until
just before his death in 1543."

>Also, remember that Galileo was still a Christian. He was also a scientist,
>unlike most of his enemies.

:-) much like Darwin

>> The most Denton or Behe have to look forward to is refutation. I have a
>> feeling either of them would prefer the stake.
>>

>I'm not sure I understand this one.

It's a lame attempt at a joke. They would rather burn at the stake than be
proven wrong.

Susan

For if there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing
of life as in hoping for another and in eluding the implacable grandeur of
this one.
--Albert Camus

http://www.telepath.com/susanb/