Re: Keep list on topic

MikeBGene@aol.com
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 11:59:24 EST

In a message dated 12/10/99 3:57:25 AM Dateline Standard Time,
Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu writes:

>what is the nature of the list other than to discussion evolution--the
>actual name of the list--and the details of evolution and intelligent
>design? And which threads, exactly, aren't discussing those ideas?

I'll say this just once. This is not just another list to discuss evolution.
It is a list which attempts to provide an environment where Christians
can discuss these issues without having to get into flame wars about
the evils of religion, the irrationality of Christian faith, or the existence
of
God. There are plenty of internet sites for those types of debates.
Now, in my opinion, some of your posts do indeed contain bait that
makes it look like you are trolling for such debates (not that I
think you do this consciously). For example, you just tried to resurrect
the old myth of a warfare between science and religion. You also just
posted this:

"I don't believe in the actual existence of any of the gods, even my beloved
Kuan Yin. Therefore I don't oppose the gods (it would be a bit like opposing
the Tooth Fairy). What I oppose is deliberate, willful, rapacious ignorance."

Maybe you don't realize it, many Christians find in downright offensive and
arrogant to equate God with the Tooth Fairy. They also find such
comparisons to be quite flawed, but refrain from replying for fear of turning
this list into a huge debate about whether God is in the same class
as the Tooth Fairy (thus making this list into another alt.atheism).

Finally, you might want to reread John's post, "Atheism and this list."
And don't forget Chris' attempt to psychoanalyze Glenn to account
for the fact that he was a Christian.

>>Since this list is not monitored, it would take some folks politely
>>suggesting that certain topics or threads or even agenda would better be
>>handled elsewhere.

>please give some examples. I'm also curious about "agendas" being handled
>elsewhere. Where else?

There are plenty of internet sites (talk.religion, alt.atheism, etc.) where
the
audience is larger.

>ID and evolution must stand or fall on their merits.
>It is my belief that ID has no scientific merit.

I know this is your belief, but I'm not so sure (see my recent postings
on proof-reading).

>I have no wish to convert anyone to atheism. For me it is a simple, bald
>act of life and the "god/no god" debate bores me. I *do* object to
religionists >promulgating ignorance. It's bad religion and bad Christianity.
That topic
>should be of some interest to all of the theists on this list and, as near
>as I can tell, wholly consistent with the list guidelines.

This brush is too broad. After all, you clearly think belief in God is
ignorance, thus I suppose that would work to justify arguments about
what you perceive to be promulgated God-belief. And I'm sure there are
many Christians here who think your attempt to resurrect the warfare
between science and religion myth, along with equating God with
the Tooth Fairy, is also an example of ignorance, but they don't want
to start debates about this either.

Look at it this way, Susan. This is a list intended primarily for Christians
to discuss evolution and origins in relation to their faith. It is even
hosted and maintained by a Christian college. You admit you are
a "a flat out Bertrand Russel-style atheist" and Russell was someone who
was very nasty to Christianity. Perhaps you should consider that
some of this hostility spills over in your arguments against
anti-evolutionists.
Just be more careful and respectful. Is that too much to ask?

Just my perceptions,
Mike