Re: Fred Hoyle's `Mathematics of Evolution'

Cliff Lundberg (cliff@noe.com)
Tue, 07 Dec 1999 20:57:24 -0800

Stephen E. Jones wrote:

>The Boeing-story in Hoyle's own words:
>A junkyard contains all the bits and pieces of a Boeing 747, dismembered
>and in disarray. A whirlwind happens to blow through the yard. What is the
>chance that after its passage a fully assembled 747, ready to fly, will be
>found standing there? ["The Intelligent Universe",1983, page 19.]

I don't understand the value of this analogy. Evolutionists don't believe
the parts of organisms were once lying around separately. Nor do they
believe that complex organisms were suddenly formed; they believe
complex organisms were gradually built up via a bootstrapping process.

?

--Cliff Lundberg  ~  San Francisco  ~  cliff@noe.com