Re: phylogenetic reconstruction

Huxter4441@aol.com
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 19:59:20 EST

In a message dated 12/7/99 3:50:09 PM !!!First Boot!!!, chadwicka@swau.edu
writes:

<< >
>There are many others. Don't make the illogical mistake of taking a
>particular circumstance and extrapolating it as a field-wide weakness.

That is exactly what you have done. You are talking about organisms that
are and are known to be related. I am talking about conjectural
relationships that have been posited on the basis of phylogenetic
constructs. In my case they don't work. In your case they do. No
surprises there. My proposal stands.
Art
http://geology.swau.edu

How so? You wrote:

"If it won't work in bacteria, what hope is there for higher organisms??? I
predict that the signals will become less and less clear, the more we know."

I presented examples of tests of the methodology - tests which showed that
the methods are accurate in reconstructing the phylogenies of higher
organisms. That there are problems in reconstructing prokaryote phylogeny
shouldn't really be a big surprise to anyone familiar witht he methods, or
familiar with prokaryote genomics. To test a methodology, does it not stand
to reason that KNOWNS must be used? How else is one to TEST a methodology?