Re: goodbye

Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Mon, 06 Dec 1999 21:17:19 +0800

Phyla

On Sun, 05 Dec 1999 17:46:14 +0000, glenn morton wrote:

GM>I have been thinking about this since I came back on this list in July
>after a 6 months absence. Since I really want to discuss things with my
>fellow Christians and since there are so few of them here anymore,
>especially those of really high level scientific backgrounds, I am going to
>be leaving here and I don't think I will come back unless I see things
>change again. As I said once before this list used to be a wonderful place
>for Christians to discuss the issues we need to deal with. It is slowly
>becoming another Talk Origins and that is not much use to me. And worse,
>Stephen and I obviously don't get along very well and I don't like what
>that is doing to me.

I had prepared a response to Glenn's points above, but then I realised
it wouldn't be fair if Glenn had left the List and couln't respond.

So let me just say that I don't agree with Glenn's assessment of the
Reflector, and leave it at that.

GM>I have been here off and on since 1994 and have met some wonderful people
>and learned a lot. But now, I don't read a lot of the posts as they all
>seem to consist not of data but of opinion. I am more interested in facts
>than opinion name calling and psychological analyses of each other.
>Frankly, I think the evolution reflector has served its purpose and
>outlived its usefulness.
>
>I wish you all well, and to any of the old gang who are still lurking, I
>miss you all a lot.

So all I will say is goodbye to Glenn. I will miss him, and I am sure others
on the List will too.

I wish again to pay tribute to Glenn for helping me immensely. Even
though we rarely saw eye-to-eye, Glenn's posts forced me to learn to
research scientific journals, to clarify my own position, and to grow as a
person. I hope it won't be *too* dull and boring when he goes! :-)

In particular, I have found Glenn's posts on anthropology the most
challenging. On one thing I do agree with Glenn, the Christian Church does
need to come to grips with the immense amount of archaeological and
anthropological evidence now coming to light. But I believe it will do it
and indeed are starting to do it. But please note that I do not equate the
Christian Church with the ICR!

Stephen E. (Steve) Jones ,--_|\ Email: sejones@iinet.net.au
3 Hawker Avenue / Oz \ Web: http://www.iinet.net.au/~sejones
Warwick 6024 -> *_,--\_/ Phone: +61 8 9448 7439
Perth, Western Australia v "Test everything." (1 Thess. 5:21)