Re: Countdown

cliff@sfo.com
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 11:35:41 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 5 Dec 1999 MikeBGene@aol.com wrote:

> Now that it is beginning to look like NASA has failed two missions
> to Mars in a row, I would like to begin a countdown. Let's see
> how long it takes someone to make a connection between these
> failures and the decision of the Kansas School Board. The countdown
> will begin if and when it is decided the Polar Lander is gone.

The school board made its decision after the rocket was launched.

I suspect NASA has changed over the years. Originally it was an
environment where anybody could talk to anybody about anything.
Now it's a compartmentalized bureaucracy that exists to serve a
consortium of politically connected contractors by putting up a
front of gee-whiz young idealists.

I'd better turn on the news. Maybe something's coming in. But I'm
not optimistic.

Cliff Lundberg