Re: Phil Johnson's agenda

MikeBGene@aol.com
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 13:07:01 EST

At 05:03 PM 12/4/99 -0800, Chris Cogan wrote:

> >Glenn, I *suspect* that there might be a strong psychological component
in
> >your acceptance of Christianity, that you, for example, associate it with
> >peace or happiness or psychological security or morality or justice
(being
> >rewarded, ultimately, for being a good person, etc.), or even just with a
> >sense of living in a universe that does not seem "cold" and "bleak." But,
> >Christianity is not the only way to obtain the psychological benefits
that
> >it seeks to make available (and I think it is ultimately *harmful* in
this
> >respect).

Glenn:

> My friend, Will Provine, tried that one out on me but he did it more
> eloquently. I believe Chrisitanity because I have seen the power of the
> resurrected Lord in my own life.

Chris:

>Yeah, but that sounds like psychological motivation to me. It's the same
>reasoning used by all sorts of people who convince themselves of the "power"
>of something (i.e., crystals, astrology, numerology, homeopathy, Reiki,
>magnets in one's mattress-covers, etc., etc., etc.).

That there may be a psychological component/motivation behind
a Christian's faith is irrelevant. After all, all beliefs involves some
form of psychological component/motivation. Such motivations are
even behind the practice of science (the psychological need to
understand to better control the world around us). What's more,
it has long looked to me like most atheists are also influenced by
psychological motivations, as their approach to God/religion is very
similar to the way a rebellious teenager reacts to their parents.

No, if you want to imply that Glenn's faith is nothing but a
psychological motivation, then you'll need to do more than
dare him to prove God to you. If his faith is nothing but psychology,
it can only be so if indeed Christianity is false. Thus, you'd need to
prove the Christian faith is false to shoulder that implication. But, of
course, that would be off-topic for this listing.

Mike