RE: Phil Johnson's agenda

glenn morton (mortongr@flash.net)
Sat, 04 Dec 1999 14:43:32 +0000

At 08:33 AM 12/4/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Glenn,
>
>I don't think that Phil is saying we should not evangelize, or throw the
>Bible out of every debate, or never discuss how the Bible and science
>relate, etc.
>
>I think he's just saying that the Bible is not a part of the ID philosophy
>of/approach to science, just as it typically isn't to non-ID science. Phil
>rejects (erroneously, I think) methodological naturalism as an important
>(let alone essential) part of science, but he doesn't replace MN with
>explicitly Christian doctrine.
>
>I really don't see anything pernicious in this, and you know that I'm fairly
>skeptical of Johnson's ID claims. (Nutshell for those unfamiliar with what
>I wrote in the past: very interesting, but pointing out the intriguing
>possibility or even plausibility of it being true is not the same as showing
>that it's in fact true and/or scientific.) It seems to me Christians and
>others very properly align with non-Christian thinkers routinely where the
>subject matter permits.

What I don't like is the way their agenda is not what is perceived by the
vast majority of people in the pew. I frankly think this has been a
conscious ommission by never having Wells actually tell his background.
Johnson et al couldn't help but know what the reaction would be among the
laity. Johnson is too smart not to have known and thus I do beleive that it
was a political calculation on their part. THat is what really gets me;
they began telling everyone they would slay the Darwinian dragon and make
the world safe for Christianity but then they change their approach and
work on a different agenda. It is classic bait and switch. And I do want to
shine a little light on the way they are doing things. I did mean it when I
asked about how many churches Wells has been invited to. Did they know he
was a Moonie?
glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood
Adam, Apes and Anthropology