Re: Copyright and the Reflector (was Why Lie?)

Susan Brassfield (Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu)
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 09:53:23 -0600

>Reflectorites
>
>On Sat, 27 Nov 1999 23:20:31 +0000, glenn morton wrote:
>
>>BV>I'm
>>>grateful to Steven for doing all that reading. He often he posts the
>entire
>>>article on the board.
>
>GM>Posting the entire article is often forbidden and thus violates the
>>copyright laws. It doesn't seem to be the 'right' thing to do. Quotes are
>>ok, the whole thing from the AP or Reuters or whatever usually violates
>>statements that forbid the republication of the article.
>
>Thanks to Glenn for airing this. I have often thought about this
>but ever since I joined the Reflector people have posted large
>slices of articles and books to the Reflector, and I have always
>assumed that it was OK.

I have to side with Stephen on this one. If an entire article is posted
complete with author's name and source, I don't really see how that
violates copyright. Stephen is correct, that this is a very limited
discussion forum and no financial benefit is being sought. And if quoting a
portion of an article or book is taboo, then a massive amount of scholarly
literature is in violation because permission for use is not sought, and
the original author only gets a footnote.

Susan

For if there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing
of life as in hoping for another and in eluding the implacable grandeur of
this one.
--Albert Camus

http://www.telepath.com/susanb/