Re: All forms of science designed for discussion

glenn morton (mortongr@flash.net)
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 06:09:38 +0000

At 11:35 PM 11/28/99 EST, MikeBGene@aol.com wrote:

>But in the real world, science simply rules out anything that looks
>like teleology or theology. Consider a couple of citations from
>working scientists:
>
>"Science, fundamentally is a game. It is a game with one overriding and
>defining rule: Rule No. 1: Let us see how far and to what extent we can
>explain the behavior of the physical and material universe in terms of
>purely physical and material causes, without invoking the supernatural."
>- Richard Dickerson, JME 34:277.

You are ignoring the effect of the Big Bang and the anthropic principle in
astronomy. Astronomers are seeing evidence of a creator in the big bang.

"Geoffrey Burbidge, of the University of California at San Diego, complains
that his fellow astronomers are rushing off to join 'the First Church of
Christ of the Big Bang." ~ Hugh Ross, The Creator and the Cosmos, (Colorado
Springs: NavPress, 1993), p. 20

I know that Fred Hoyle has complained about the religion of the big bang.
Tipler wrote a book in which he postulated that physics would become the
new religion, see Frank J. Tipler, The Physics of Immortality, (New York:
Doubleday, 1994),

Somewhere these scientists are seeing some evidence that supports theology.

>"Even if all the data point to an intelligent designer, such an hypothesis
>is excluded from science because it is not naturalistic."
>
>- Scott C. Todd, Nature 401:423.

It is hard to exclude God when there is a big bang and no one can know what
is behind that event.

>If science was truly open to explanations that invoked God, we would
>be able to find some articles published where these cases were being
>made and debated in the scientific literature.

WE do, see John D. Barrow Frank J. Tipler THE ANTHROPIC COSMOLOGICAL
PRINCIPLE New York: Oxford University Press, 1986

Paul DAvies, The Accidental Universe

Such books do discuss the possibility of a divine observer.

Quantum leads one to either need an ultimate observer or a belief (equally
based upon faith) of a many-world's hypothesis.

"If we remove the problem of observership in quantum mechanics by adopting
a Many-Worlds interpretation as may be mandatory if one is to interpret
quantum cosmology without introducing the 'Ultimate Observer', then it is
possible to reduce the Strong Principle to the Weak one." ~ J. D. Barrow,
"Patterns of Explanation in Cosmology," in F. Bertola and U. Curi, editors,
The Anthropic Principle, (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1993), p. 9.

You aren't keeping up with modern physics.

glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood
Adam, Apes and Anthropology
http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm