Re: All forms of science designed for discussion

glenn morton (mortongr@flash.net)
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 19:35:09 +0000

Hi Mike,

At 06:21 PM 11/28/99 EST, MikeBGene@aol.com wrote:

>>ID makes the same mistake YECs do--they present NO scenario for what
>>ACTUALLY happened.
>
>I couldn't agree more. But I am willing to cut the ID people some
>slack for a period of time as time is needed to readjust focus and
>adopt new thinking. That is, first one must deal with the issue
>of whether design exists and how to provisionally detect it before
>they can begin to present scenarios. So I figure I'll give them
>about 20 years. If 20 years from now, the ID movement still
>centers on general claims about the need for ID or the impossibility
>of evolution, I'm afraid the ID movement will go the way of the
>YEC movement.

That is what I really fear for the ID movement. I would cut them some slack
if their leaders were proposing ANY explanation of ANYTHING. So far I
haven't seen them advocate a single explanation or advance a single
scenario for any topic no matter how small. They are like a driver who
furiously turns the steering wheel of a car unable to understand why the
car doesn't turn. It would if they would simply turn on the engine, put it
in gear and step on the gas. Then the car would turn. As it is, they are
not risking their necks on any predictions whatsoever.

>>Thus they, like the YECs will be relegated to the
>>sidelines of science. Until Christians finally figure out that there is
>>a need for a workable scenario the 10% will always have sway. The
>>game is being played and we are not even on the field!
>
>In my opinion, as long as Christians invoke something that
>can be interpreted to be God, they will be banned from the
>field of play. This is because the game that is played on
>that field entails such a rule of censorship. The game of
>science is to explain the world without reference to God.

Here I disagree. The game of science is to explain the world--with or
without God. Obviously, in science, if we use God to solve all our problems
or explain everything we don't understand, then we are doing bad. Science
does not ipso facto rule out a God from the universe.

glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood
Adam, Apes and Anthropology
http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm