Re: Why lie?

Cliff Lundberg (cliff@noe.com)
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 09:59:15 -0800

Susan Brassfield wrote:

>That's Gould saying "unnecessary." He's saying that strict gradualism is
>not necessary to evolutionary theory. What Stephen said was that increase
>in variation was controversial and then posted a portion of a discussion of
>the rate of evolution (an entirely different discussion) as support for his
>assertion, and quote had been altered to make it seem to support his
>argument better.

'Increase in variation' is a discussion "entirely different' from 'rate
of evolution'?

>No magic involved. Lists of creationist out-of-context quotes are all over
>the web. He has links to some of them from his own website. Do you really
>think he's read all those books?

SJ's quotes seem to me different (and longer!) than those I've run into
on the web. But whatever the source, I find their substance interesting,
you don't. One can read a lot of books, especially when they're all in
a field one is familiar with and one knows how to scan for what is
interesting.

--Cliff Lundberg  ~  San Francisco  ~  cliff@noe.com