Re: All forms of science designed for discussion

mortongr@flash.net
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 07:28:37 +0000

At 05:08 AM 11/24/1999 EST, MikeBGene@aol.com wrote:
>I do concede that I have not researched your views, as I was simply going
>by what you have posted to this list. As far as I can tell, your views
>entail that things originated through standard abiogenesis and evolutionary
>theory, only that you see God behind the whole series of events. I don't
>see how Islam, or practically any other religion, would be opposed to this.
>Perhaps you can share the aspects of your views about origins that only
>a Christian could have?

My views are more about concording the Bible and science. For me as a
geoscientist who sees the need for a historical early Genesis, the flood
was much more problematic than the origin and evolution of life. The flood
is something that should have left evidence of itself--I couldn't find it.
Thus finding a scenario that matched the Biblical descriptionn of the flood
was important to me. After I found that, other issues then came to the
surface--issues like the place of fossil man, evolution etc.

The reason my views won't help islam is because the Koran places has the
ark landing on Jebel Judi. Such a location would require a global flood
(something I reject and don't think the bible actually teachs). My views
wouldn't help Hinduism or other far eastern religions because I am
primarily about providing a scenario for the Biblical account. THe far
eastern religions don't have this account.

By the way, your comment:

>I suppose this is meaningful for those only looking for things
>that will "do Christianity any good."

only punctuates what I commented on before. THis site, hosted by a
Christian college, used to be a great place for Christians to work on these
issues. Now that a whole lot of people with your attitude have come here,
it has forever changed the nature of this wonderful site! I post less and
less here because of that and am going to other sites to have meaningful
theological discussion. And it is a shame. Christians are the one who will
have to solve the creation/evolution issue internally to them. Why?
Because the whole issue arises because of christian theology!
glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood
Adam, Apes and Anthropology
http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm